Novax Djokivic

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad he's being kicked out, but I have to admit the Aussies haven't looked good over this. I suspect the "positive test" in December and his carrying on with normal life after it has given the Aussies the extra ammo they needed after the court ruling.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's not actually being kicked out though, is he? There's a hearing underway and all this could very well end up being political posturing by the Australian authorities to appease a very pissed off electorate.

I'm going to look for the odds on Djokovic being on court for his first round tie...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Perhaps because ego dictates that people will be so happy to see him compete that they will ignore everything else as well as dictating that laws like this are for normal peopel and not for the likes of him.
I don't think he's that arrogantly stupid. Though definitely rather 'arrogant' (aka 'has enormous self belief' as any top sports person has to have these days) and apparently did something stupid (getting 'his team' to produce documentation that conflicts with other, verifiable, info).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We saw that throughout the Pandemic tho didn't we? Celebs breaking the rules

I can honestly believe that he totally misread the situation. So many other countries would have bent over backwards to get the defending champion in to the competition but he misinterpreted the Australian attitude to covid (plus the upcoming election) and so he was not welcomed with open arms as he may have envisaged.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can honestly believe that he totally misread the situation. So many other countries would have bent over backwards to get the defending champion in to the competition but he misinterpreted the Australian attitude to covid (plus the upcoming election) and so he was not welcomed with open arms as he may have envisaged.
I think it is still arrogance, or at best naivety. As you say, he thought they would welcome him with open arms as a great champion and sweep the rules under the carpet for him. Hasn't worked out like that so he's tried to lie and scam his way in instead. That also hasn't worked. :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
I suspect he was fairly casual about everything, with him and his team pretty confident they'd be able to fiddle the forms, and get into Oz on a technicality. Then he'd stick his finger up to the world with a smile on his face, and be a champion for the anti-vaxers. However, maybe he didn't realise it would become headline news throughout the world, with many of the Oz people and government fighting against him. He maybe underestimated how strict the government has been on the Oz people, and therefore how passionate the people would be. If he had, I think at a minimum he would have been much more careful about social media posts about his whereabouts before he travelled.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What has seemed to have gone under the radar. Another player was kicked out as well. A womens doubles player. By all accounts from what I have read. She should not of been kicked out. But because she is not An A list player/ plank. It is a non story.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Before this whole episode, I had no negative connotations of Djokovic. A clearly wonderful athlete and amazing tennis player - on the verge of becoming the most successful grand slam winner ever. He came across as witty, a good sport and gracious in defeat. It’s a shame that this will tarnish some of that and potentially overshadow some of his achievements, at least in the short term.

I think it’s the arrogance and fragrant fluidity with the truth that he, his team and family have spouted that underpins the strong feelings on this. I guess it started as naivety and then as the story grew they mismanaged the situation spectacularly. Will be interesting to see the long term impact of the backlash on his remaining career.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before this whole episode, I had no negative connotations of Djokovic. A clearly wonderful athlete and amazing tennis player - on the verge of becoming the most successful grand slam winner ever. He came across as witty, a good sport and gracious in defeat. It’s a shame that this will tarnish some of that and potentially overshadow some of his achievements, at least in the short term.

I think it’s the arrogance and fragrant fluidity with the truth that he, his team and family have spouted that underpins the strong feelings on this. I guess it started as naivety and then as the story grew they mismanaged the situation spectacularly. Will be interesting to see the long term impact of the backlash on his remaining career.

Djokovic has some weird ideas, though. He claims to have been diagnosed gluten-intolerant by someone holding a piece of bread near him, he believes in telepathy and telekinesis and was disappointed that an injury needed medical treatment and he couldn't heal it naturally. He also thinks polluted water and food can be purified through positive emotions. He is either a mystic with otherworldly powers or a complete nutter.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Djokovic has some weird ideas, though. He claims to have been diagnosed gluten-intolerant by someone holding a piece of bread near him, he believes in telepathy and telekinesis and was disappointed that an injury needed medical treatment and he couldn't heal it naturally. He also thinks polluted water and food can be purified through positive emotions. He is either a mystic with otherworldly powers or a complete nutter.
Yep, I’ve read some of that stuff but only after this Covid debacle. There didn’t appear to be quite the same groundswell against him considering some of the, erm ‘quirky’ ideologies he’s been associated with.