Notts courses

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My work takes me up to Nottinghamshire once or twice a week, and I often stay overnight. Well, I used to do so before the virus lockdown.

I really love Notts GC (Hollinwell) and have played there several times. It’s one of my favourite courses in the UK.

I haven’t played Sherwood Forest GC or Coxmoor GC yet, but I’ve heard good things about both. Have driven past Coxmoor and the holes visible from the road look lovely.

Can anyone recommend any hidden gems that are good quality and good value for an evening round ?

dronfield

Visit site
Sherwood Forest is excellent and certainly worth a round - wont be cheap, but you may get a deal for an evening/twilight round.

The Nottinghamshire GC (not to be confused with Hollinwell) at Cotgrave, is also worth playing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You really are spoiled for choice in Nottinghamshire.

I agree Nottinghamshire GC at Cotgrave is worth a visit, and can confirm from experience that Coxmoor is a belter - I prefer it to Notts GC. I’ve also played Sherwood which is fantastic.

Newark GC is a really nice track, and depending where in the county you are, just across the border in Leicestershire you’ll find Longcliffe GC, another lovely course.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Stanton does indeed have lovely greens everytime I've played there, really nice course.
I've played Coxmoor a few times now and can honestly say I'm underwhelmed, nothing special in my view. The new clubhouse is a travesty as well!
I do enjoy playing Wollaton, just mind the deer! :)

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Coxmoor is a cracking course, even better with changes they've made recently. Brand new £1.5m clubhouse too. Worksop is another good track in the north of the county. Sherwood Forest and Hollinwell speak for themselves as the two Nottinghamshire clubs in the Top 100.

Wollaton Park is set in about one quarter of a 500 acre park overlooked by an Elizabethan mansion. Only 3 miles from the city centre, with deer roaming freely, it's a lovely walk even if you're playing badly. Good course too, although as a member I'm probably a little biased.

Of the others, Stanton-on-the-Wolds further south is a nice summer course. Mainly flat, they are rightly proud of their fantastic greens.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sherwood Forest is excellent and certainly worth a round - wont be cheap, but you may get a deal for an evening/twilight round.

The Nottinghamshire GC (not to be confused with Hollinwell) at Cotgrave, is also worth playing.

Cheers, that's good to know. I have a client in Cotgrave. I can feel a plan coming together :LOL:

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You really are spoiled for choice in Nottinghamshire.

I agree Nottinghamshire GC at Cotgrave is worth a visit, and can confirm from experience that Coxmoor is a belter - I prefer it to Notts GC. I’ve also played Sherwood which is fantastic.

Newark GC is a really nice track, and depending where in the county you are, just across the border in Leicestershire you’ll find Longcliffe GC, another lovely course.

I drive up the M1 to Notts, so anything in Leicestershire is easy for me too. Interesting to read that you prefer Coxmoor over Notts. That's good. Notts GC is one of my favourite tracks anywhere.

Thanks (y)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info, guys.

It sounds like I really need to get a round in at Wollaton Park sometime. Maybe once the restrictions are (hopefully) eased later in the Summer, I can organise a fourball there one afternoon with some of you guys that recommended it. (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Just one more question, for you helpful lads. Erewash Valley GC isn't too far from our office. Is that also worth a visit ?
Personally I'd say no, but if you are desperate for a game it's not too bad - the quarry holes are a bit of a change from the norm.
But the Notts courses mentioned above are all superior, imho

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the Wollaton Park website, that looks like a really lovely parkland course. A country membership seems to be available at a decent rate too.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the info, guys.

It sounds like I really need to get a round in at Wollaton Park sometime. Maybe once the restrictions are (hopefully) eased later in the Summer, I can organise a fourball there one afternoon with some of you guys that recommended it. (y)

I'll be happy to sign you and a couple of others in. I think the guest rate is around £25, even cheaper after 4pm.