(Not so) Old School Golf Lesson

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday to attempt to solve hugely fat iron shots.

30 mins, one guy, one iphone in a field. No trackman, K-Vest, GC2, training aids, flat screen TVs, all weather bay.

Within 4 swings, he was able to adjust my set up, tell me that I was dipping by about a foot in the backswing and was overswinging (age old problem) and we went about attempting to fix it.

Huge improvements almost immediately and very clear, simple instructions on how to keep improving over the next few months with no need for help.

Twenty. Quid.

I think this more simple approach to instruction is suited to someone like me who has been paralysed by information, obsessed by gadgets in lessons and addicted to youtube fixes when something goes wrong.

What about everyone else- is there still a space out there for the learned pro with learned eyes only (and maybe a camera)? Will there always be room for pros without trackman?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like my sort of lesson!
Personally I think it has all become far too technical and baffling for me.

Each to their own but I much prefer simplicity in the golf swing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

30 mins, one guy, one iphone in a field. No trackman, K-Vest, GC2, training aids, flat screen TVs, all weather bay.

Within 4 swings, he was able to adjust my set up, tell me that I was dipping by about a foot in the backswing and was overswinging (age old problem) and we went about attempting to fix it.

Huge improvements almost immediately and very clear, simple instructions on how to keep improving over the next few months with no need for help.

Twenty. Quid.

I think this more simple approach to instruction is suited to someone like me who has been paralysed by information, obsessed by gadgets in lessons and addicted to youtube fixes when something goes wrong.

What about everyone else- is there still a space out there for the learned pro with learned eyes only (and maybe a camera)? Will there always be room for pros without trackman?

I hope so :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds lik my pro, just with a bigger screen.

Unless you asked it was mostly watching and a few key points from his camera footage.

Going to miss him now he has left the range I’m at.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Twenty. Quid.

Exactly the kind of lessons I have and find most useful. Keep it simple

They range has the tech if we want to use it but litterally he will just film a couple of swings on his phone and make notes

We use the CoachNow app , after every lesson he either uploads 2 videos (one before one after) with small notes of changes made and why we made them or uploads a small paragraph summery from the lesson for me to go on the app and refer back to.

His coaching is simple when out there but I love the app as a good way to refer back. Phones always near me where as my old book they gave me was always in my bag

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Twenty. Quid.

I could've told you what you were doing wrong ages ago, but i needed all those 3 pound bets.:rofl:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lessons are best come from a PGA professional who knows their profession and has ability to work with the pupil.

Not every pupil and pro with gel so there is nothing wrong in changing pro's and trying others until you find someone you are comfortable with.

The pro I now go to (monthly) keeps it simple. He has a great understanding of the swing and knows how to explain and set drills that are easy to follow. He has his iPad and that is it. The iPad is used to show you your swing and that's about it.

Some people thrive on technical support and input, others prefer a feeling or a "move" that they can feel.

Professionals are worth their weight in gold even if it's just a wee "pick me up" or confidence boost!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a guy like that, a decent PGA pro who is also and exam and course assessor for the PGA. very simple, doesn't try and reinvent the wheel each time and doesn't rely on technology overly. He will use video and a launch monitor if required but prefers the "old fashioned" methods

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
My pro is a 'by eye' coach, he has a mini-trackman, and he might film the swing but that is as far as it goes but he hasn't used either in any lesson with me.

He can usually sort me within 5 minutes.... "Ball position Brian. Move the ball up in the stance." Or back. But my issues are usually down to getting my ball position wrong.

5/10 minutes and boom, sorted. Reminds me I need to get a lesson when I'm back from holiday..

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Twenty. Quid.

Was this with Stuart Reekie? I've had lessons with him as well and he's excellent.