Not a good weekend for grow the game!

Leveltwos

Visit site
So we’ve had -
Sergio getting away with a very mild punishment for beating up the greens
The Pros deciding they don’t like one of the new rules so they’ve suspended it
But even worse......
The sight of Dustin Johnson yakking out some of the longest gobs I’ve ever seen in full view of the cameras. Eeeugh! Puts Keegan Bradley’s non stop efforts of a few years ago to shame.
Surely Sky can run a small time delay on their transmissions so they can edit it out? That would also help with the number of times they have to apologise for the players language?

Or maybe they think this is great grow the game stuff in which case I despair!

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
^ agreed with all of this. Maybe have sympathy with implementation of new rule but that’s about it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's actually incredible the amount of 'stuff' that happened over the past 4/5 days.

In terms of the controversy around the Saudi event, the caddie lining up players in Phoenix debacle, the Sergio DQ, the general circus at Phoenix and the excitement of the final round - not to mention two well known players winning yesterday in terms of DJ and Fowler.

Personally I'd say there's no such thing as bad publicity. Be arguably worse if 2 unknown guys won the events drama free, with no talking points or controversy.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Put the Saudi, Chinese and Turkish opens in a row alongside an event at a trump course in the US and we can have a "dictatorship swing" and get all the bile out of the way in one month

Also... Sergio.... really poor, really poor, give yourself a ban although I'd forgive him if he could use his putter as a potential weapon not against the course but against his fellow pros who can't seem to play a round in less than 6 hrs... until they sort out slow play there's an inevitable slide towards course closures everywhere,I don't know any youths who even bother watching golf highlights on TV never mind full broadcast so like grant85....it's all publicity and golf needs it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yep, they happened. Now what time are me and HID off out for a beer?

Seriously, if you're hanging onto stuff like this you need help. "Other people's stuff." Its not your problem. Let those that are "in-office" deal with it. Get on with enjoying your life. 99% of people will have forgotten it in 10 mins.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Put the Saudi, Chinese and Turkish opens in a row alongside an event at a trump course in the US and we can have a "dictatorship swing" and get all the bile out of the way in one month

Also... Sergio.... really poor, really poor, give yourself a ban although I'd forgive him if he could use his putter as a potential weapon not against the course but against his fellow pros who can't seem to play a round in less than 6 hrs... until they sort out slow play there's an inevitable slide towards course closures everywhere,I don't know any youths who even bother watching golf highlights on TV never mind full broadcast so like grant85....it's all publicity and golf needs it
I like the sound of dictatorship swing....or the race to no human rights.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure if it was a bad weekend for golf. Some excellent golf, some mediocre golf and some unusual events. All in all though it's got golf out there and getting column inches and that in a way has to be a good thing. Not sure however people will look on the Garcia incident well, although his escaping a ban will mean it's forgotten tomorrow. Think a lot of people, including non-golfers will look at the Fowler incident and feel sorry for him and think the rules are a mockery, Can't see it making an iota of difference to participation though

Bit of rough

Visit site
One more memorable golfing moment from the weekend.

One of these men is the Greatest Golfer of All Time. One is the second Greatest Golfer of All Time. And their host?
Not the best few months. The ET going to Saudi Arabia, with many players shamelessly pocketing huge appearance fees. Two men playing for nine million dollars (cash) on pay-per-view. The President of the United States, owning many courses, on record as saying golf should be for the rich; to be able to afford to play it shows you're successful in life. (Apparently Turnberry has a laundry on site; handy, I'd imagine).

None of it helps the perception that golf is for stuffy, older, rich, occasionally racist men, usually white. Which is a shame, as I'd hope the overwhelming majority of us on here know that's nonsense. But it drowns out the diversity and competitiveness of the LPGA, the tremendous Tiger comeback story, all the good stuff. The European Tour social media content, and the PGA's "Amy" help a little, but they're pushing water uphill.

To be honest, the Sergio DQ, the lining up, the Rickie penalty; probably only those who follow the professional game will have even noticed them. Saudi, Trump; they have a wider reach.