North Tyneside recommended courses

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all.

I will be relocating to North Tyneside in the coming months.
It's not an area I know too well golf wise, so just after some courses you would recommend for a membership?
Has to be north of the Tyne ideally to avoid the Tyne Tunnel.

Thanks.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Whitley Bay a couple of weeks ago. Lovely, interesting course & not too tiring. Was in good condition but does get a bit claggy in the winter, apparently. One of the only ones in the area to still have a joining fee, which you can pay over 5 years.
Cheers Bill

Yeah I've heard some good things about Whitley Bay it's high on my list of courses to try and It's close by.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I live in Whitley Bay, but am a member at Arcot Hall, which is technically Northumberland, but only 15 mins drive away. WB is a really nice course, but always seems to be busy. I’ve played it a couple of midweeks and it’s been chokka. I also drive past it 3 times a week to go to the gym, and the car park always looks pretty full.

Tynemouth is a bit quirky, some folk don’t like it, but I’ve always enjoyed it.

Avoid Wallsend, horrible.

Backworth is a nice enough little 9 hole course, membership is pretty cheap, but it doesn’t compare with Whitley, Tynemouth or Arcot.

Arcot used to have a reputation for being lovely in the summer but very wet in the winter. It has improved a lot in that respect in the 3 years I’ve been a member there. Let me know if you fancy a game there - would need to be a weekday as I’m a 5 day member.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another vote for Whitley Bay, my favourite course in the NE. Getting in could be a problem, as has been mentioned.

Try Tynemouth. I find it a bit bland but it may work for you.

Not played Arcot but I know Rudebhoy likes it and he plays a lot of different courses so wouldn't stay if it was poor.

Is it worth looking a little further north? You have good road links, spine road, a1 so how about somewhere like Bedlington? Proper club, may only be 15 mins or so from you, depending on exactly where you are.

Some tyne valley courses may not be too far either. Is Tyneside far? Check a route planner. There are a few clubs around there which may be worth looking at which may not immediately spring to mind.

Saying all of the above, the obvious 3 are still your best bet. (If you get in at Whitley Bay please have a welcome meet 😁)

GF23

Visit site
Don't discount Blyth, a few might turn their noses up at this suggestion, but it is one of our favourite courses north of the Tunnel.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another vote for Whitley Bay, my favourite course in the NE. Getting in could be a problem, as has been mentioned.

Try Tynemouth. I find it a bit bland but it may work for you.

Not played Arcot but I know Rudebhoy likes it and he plays a lot of different courses so wouldn't stay if it was poor.

Is it worth looking a little further north? You have good road links, spine road, a1 so how about somewhere like Bedlington? Proper club, may only be 15 mins or so from you, depending on exactly where you are.

Some tyne valley courses may not be too far either. Is Tyneside far? Check a route planner. There are a few clubs around there which may be worth looking at which may not immediately spring to mind.

Saying all of the above, the obvious 3 are still your best bet. (If you get in at Whitley Bay please have a welcome meet 😁)

Suspect Tyneside will be a bit too far - it’s a good 45 mins from the coast. The Bridlepath at Gosforth is a decent option, I can get there in 20 mins outside rush hour, it’s a nice course with friendly members and a good clubhouse. Wouldn’t bother with Parklands as it’s average at best and generally pretty busy.

Newbiggin-by-the-Sea is 25 mins drive from WB and great in the winter, but I think I’d get bored of playing there all year round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Suspect Tyneside will be a bit too far - it’s a good 45 mins from the coast. The Bridlepath at Gosforth is a decent option, I can get there in 20 mins outside rush hour, it’s a nice course with friendly members and a good clubhouse. Wouldn’t bother with Parklands as it’s average at best and generally pretty busy.

Newbiggin-by-the-Sea is 25 mins drive from WB and great in the winter, but I think I’d get bored of playing there all year round.
Ah, wasn't sure about Tyneside but obviously discount based on that. Good shout about The Bridlepath. It depends what sort of a player Snell is. It's not the longest course so if he is a long hitter he may find it limiting. I liked it for that reason, I have a chance there 😁. I also love the fact deer wander around the course.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moving to the dark side mate? What’s that about????

Tynemouth.... merrrrr don’t think you will like it to be honest mate.
Try Newcastle Utd I like it personally (might be a bit tough for you when the wind is blowing)
Where about a you moving too

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good shout about The Bridlepath. It depends what sort of a player Snell is. It's not the longest course so if he is a long hitter he may find it limiting. I liked it for that reason, I have a chance there 😁. I also love the fact deer wander around the course.

Don't worry, he isn't a big hitter :ROFLMAO:
I played Tynemouth last year, it's essentially 18 boring, flat holes surrounded by houses.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site