No English players last night.

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How does this look for the future of English football.

You think you have got problems our teams up here have a fair share of homegrown players and look at the state of ouir national team ! The football up here is dying and the future is bleak to say the least.

D

Deleted member 1740

Not one English player in the Portsmouth Arsenal game last night I'm reading, just one Scot and one Welsh. How does this look for the future of English football.

Sorry to be pedantic but steve finnan also played last night whose irish with a "southern" accent. ;)

Lazy journalism i know.

As for the "english game", since the birth of the premier league and the success of the champions league its now become more international and we do attract some of the better european players,

We also attract some utter garbage too, although i don't think the game would be much better if we restricted the amount of foreigners to clubs because if i'm honest most players in the championship just simply arn't good enough and would only make the prem weaker imo.

On a side note fergie rotated his side for the 99th consecutive side last night, i don't recall him being berated by the press the same way rafa benitez was and still does!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't give a stuff about the national side. Watching England is worse than watching Watford. The world cup can take a running jump.

As far as Arsenal are concerned, if he can find any English players good enough, he will play them. Sad thing is, he can't. And the ones he has got are broken. Walcott and Gibbs.

For Portsmouth, they can't afford any players, least of all English ones.

Why do English players come at a premium?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not a football fan, Rugby league is my game and we have the very same problem. Clubs buy anyone they can get their hands on with an Aussie/New Zealand accent and the young British players have to play understudy to them, IF they can get a game. The result; We cannot beat Australia when we play them because the team is mainly made up of older players with the younger ones being inexperienced.I see the same in football. If the F.A does not step in to cap the number of foreign players allowed per side the national team will continue to suffer as there will be less and less talent to choose from.Unfortunately the premiership clubs are being bought up by foreign investors and what they say goes.

compton77

Medal Winner
Visit site
If i remember correctly there was an English presence on the pitch up until an 83rd minute substitution? Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the commentator at the ground for Sky Sports News said that...

matt01

Head Pro
Visit site
i think this seems to be a problem acros the board most of the english teams,were there are to many none english playing in the teams so none of the young english can get through an mow seeing it in the rugby as well

can they not put a limit on the amount of none english in a side

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why?

If I want to watch rubbish footy, I will go to Watford.

You honestly think Watford could fill the Emirates every game?

There are plenty of English youngsters at Arsenal. Most won't make it there because they aren't good enough. Those that do will be very good indeed.

The rest will play prem/championship footy somewhere else.

They have plenty of opportunity, they just aren't as good as Fabregas and the rest. Arsenal don't buy in that many finished players, so if the kids are good enough, they will make it.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont think the game last nite has any bearing on the world cup,we definately have a great chance in the world cup.we have plenty of players spread over the premiership.My only concern is the keeper,James is the best but he will make a mistake the others just aint good enough.

B

birdieman

When Liverpool won the FA Cup in 1986 there were no English players in the team so this is not really a new thing.
It probably is to the detriment of the English national team that the premiership is full of talented foreigners, but only a little bit.
We watch the premiership every week for 40 odd weeks in the year but watch internationals for only a few weeks every 2 years so for me a top quality premiership is more important than the internationl side so wouldn't like to see foreign players being limited in the premiership.
Watching Arsenal, ManU, Man City or Chelsea in full flow is way better than watching England or any other international side as the quality of football is better imo.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My arguement is that we won the WC in 1966.....but havn't won any major tournament since.....and that includes long before the influx of foreign players into the top divisions.

You could say that with the bigger squads needed due to number of substitutes ( i hark back to the days of just one ! ) and games , that there wouldn't be enough quality of homegrown players to fill a squad fully.

Maybe the hope is that the cream of homegrown players will make it to the top.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I really don't truck with the foreign influx affecting the national side. Yes, we won the world cup in 1966 (at home) but we didn't win in 1962, 58, 54 and in 1950 lost to the then unheard of USA. This was during footballs so-called hey-day of the 50s and early 60s...... and let's not mention the 70s.

Since 1986 we have been in one semi final and two quarter finals losing only on penalties each time. We have also been semi finalists in the European championship (at home again admittedly) but again only losing on penalties.

If the players are good enough they will shine in any league and our best national players are among the best in the world. Our day will come. Belieeeeeve!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a huge follower of football but am seeing rugby union going the same way. High influx of older foreign players is limiting the chances for young english talent. That said, we have a bigger excuse in that we have to put a team out when the home nations are playing in the 6 Nations. That said, my team, the Leicester Tigers, are a great example of bringing younger players through the ranks. Also the fans have far greater access to the players, can often see them around town or at local rugby club events (a drunk Tuilagi is a scary sight). They even made Lewis Moody work in the club shop when he was suspended.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching Arsenal, ManU, Man City or Chelsea in full flow is way better than watching England or any other international side as the quality of football is better imo.

I agree. 100%.

Wenger doesn't choose English players it seems. Portsmouth are hardly top choice for English players at the moment looking to move. Sad, but true, there are plenty of good English players in all positions, but the top clubs aren't going to play them if there is a better player from *anywhere in the world* at the manager's disposal.
We could insist on a minimum of x amount of players (from England) in any team in the top English leagues, but I can't see them then competing in Europe.
As ever, the top league(s) and clubs have to do what it takes to stay competitive.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fulham did it back in the mid 90's while in the 2nd division and fielded a team with no English players. It never got picked up and ultimately made no difference that season. It was only when we got Fayeds money and could attract better albeit older players (near the end of their career) that we ever stood a chance of progressing. Now we are an established side we seem to be doing alright and have a few home grown boys like Smalling coming through.

The big names will always go out and buy the best players they can and its been that way since Blackburn arguably bought the side to win the league. There is no compassion in the game and its all about silverware and profit and loss and so the team could be made up of 11 eskimos but if they are performing fans and owners won't care. Actually that isn't strictly true. Fans, especially home town fans do but sadly theres is a disappearing voice in the wilderness these days

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Lazy journalism from the start, Craig Eastmond played in that game for Arsenal, and he is English. As for Wenger not choosing English players.........

Walcott
Wilshire
Lansbury
Eastmond
Cruise
Jay Emanuelle Thomas
Freeman
Ayling
Watt
Bartley
Gilbert
Randall
Frimpong
Simpson

To name a few, many have played for England youth teams, Under 18, 19 etc. Also many have played in the Arsenal first team this season so far. Some are currently on loan, some injured, as Murph said, there are many English players at Arsenal, if they are good enough they will make it, if not, they will move on to other teams, who will receive some very talented, well instructed players.

The new rules state homegrown players, this doesn`t take into account nationality, only that they have been developed at the club since early years. This will include the likes of

Song
Clichy
Traore
Fabregas
Merida

Arsenal do a lot for the future of the game, but lazy journalists like to forget that fact to often.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would having a cap on the number of foreign players help the national team - possibly - if you can retain the right foreigners.
Will the FA do anything about it - probably not, they know they would get into a battle with the Premier league they don't want and may not win.
Does the FA need to do anything about it - probably not, FIFA will be fighting that battle possibly at the behest of France (among others).