No claims discount protection in car insurance ??

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve never had a claim in 38 years of driving. Last night driving to Cumbria in a heavy snowstorm a car in front of us spun out and was facing the wrong way, I had to swerve to avoid, skidded, hit a kerb/verge at a field entrance, busted the wheel and tyre, damage to the front bumper. Police came, closed the road and we had to wait for a recovery truck (XC40 has no spare ?)
Called LV this morning to sort it, glad I have protected NCB. You just never know when an accident can happen mate.

Yours has no spare ? My D4 ha a space saver thing and i hate it , just looks so unsafe to me .

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My car insurance renews this Sunday, I always protect my NCB. I had an increase from my current insurer from £180 to £240 so I shopped around and got full cover for £220 from Tesco

I had never claimed on my house insurance until a leak in the bath room bought down part of the living room ceiling a couple of months ago, had I not ever insured I would have been quids in over the years but it is a gamble.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even though the owners handbook says there is a space saver wheel I only have an “inflation kit” where the wheel should be!
But when your wheel is like this it doesn’t work…
View attachment 45718

All risk management isn't it, I mean like you say the spray won't work on that, and a spare won't work if you get a double blow out. Not as often but I've seen them , also after that incident would you want to put on the spare and carry on? Might be in shock

Hope everyone was ok!

D

Deleted member 31467

Car insurance is a very competitive market. If you shop around you won't get ripped off. Each company has a team of underwriters that set the prices based on their customer database and the type of clients they want to attract hence you might get quotes from 2 different companies that are £250 and £2000. It's not a rip-off and anyone saying it is clearly doesn't understand how it works. I used to work for a major insurance underwriter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Car insurance is a very competitive market. If you shop around you won't get ripped off. Each company has a team of underwriters that set the prices based on their customer database and the type of clients they want to attract hence you might get quotes from 2 different companies that are £250 and £2000. It's not a rip-off and anyone saying it is clearly doesn't understand how it works. I used to work for a major insurance underwriter.

It's not so easily done now, since they had to offer new and existing customers the same deals the competition isn't as good as it was

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
All risk management isn't it, I mean like you say the spray won't work on that, and a spare won't work if you get a double blow out. Not as often but I've seen them , also after that incident would you want to put on the spare and carry on? Might be in shock

Hope everyone was ok!

This is true, at the time we was all
A bit shook up but I was thinking if I could get a spare wheel from someone I could carry on. Only when the adrenaline subsides and you start to think clearer you realise it’s probably a bad idea, wouldn’t be surprised if the tracking is buggered and who knows what else?

Waiting for Enterprise to sort me out a bigger car now. The focus offered is not big enough for 4 + big dog + luggage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry just what I found recently when insurance jumped from 460 to 750 with no extra claims or endorsements...(12 years no claims)

Shopping around got it to 650 .. but still no where near the past Few years which have all been sub £500

You used to be able to shop around and get new customer discount of say 30% but now that's been withdrawn to give everyone the same deals

Same for wife 620 to 820 and got to 715 on shopping around but nowhere with the super offers for new customers

Even martin Lewis viewed it as the same

"This likely means the cheapest prices disappearing rapidly for those who do comparisons and switch. Therefore I'd suggest everyone check car and home insurance ASAP to see if you can cut costs grabbing cheaper switchers' deals, before things start to change."

And this

"That's good news for those who never switch, as renewals will be cheaper - bad news for those who actively scour the market for the best deals, as, while they should still be able to save due to competition, the difference will be reduced and overall they'll pay more."

Last edited by a moderator:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The best deals to existing customers is a lie!

My renewal was due just before Xmas. Price was up 40% up on last year. Shopped around and got pretty close to last year.

When I called to cancel they offered me a discount. So, if they can offer you a deal, they are not automatically giving people the best they can offer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best deals to existing customers is a lie!

My renewal was due just before Xmas. Price was up 40% up on last year. Shopped around and got pretty close to last year.

When I called to cancel they offered me a discount. So, if they can offer you a deal, they are not automatically giving people the best they can offer.

When I called they went right we can do your wife's £100 cheaper but yours we can't

Like you say how is that the best price?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pay the 1st £600 of any damage and my car is now only worth about 4 grand .

you really should shop around and when you do online quotes make sure you change the XS sometimes it makes very little real difference to have £50 (what I have) and a companies normal amount (mainly) £200- £250.

I once changed the XS to zero and the premium never altered.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
By coincidence the wife's has come in for renewal , up from £220 to £389:eek: a quick look around and plenty of quotes at around £220 so i guess she will be changing .
I really get peeved when you ring to cancel the renewal and they instantly knock £150 off , still move even if they say they will match the new price .

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
By coincidence the wife's has come in for renewal , up from £220 to £389:eek: a quick look around and plenty of quotes at around £220 so i guess she will be changing .
I really get peeved when you ring to cancel the renewal and they instantly knock £150 off , still move even if they say they will match the new price .
A 77% price increase. ?

D-S

Visit site
A 77% price increase. ?
Or a 77% punt on seeing whether some sucker (or elderly and vulnerable person) might just accidentally renew automatically and not get the 'real' price that they'll probably offer if you ring them and obviously can get if you are internet aware - an easy way of making £169 by preying on the unaware or vulnerable - a despicable business practice.

pompeybandit

Visit site
I've just done a comparison as my wife car insurance is due.
Last year's price: £135.42
Renewal price: £127.74
Lowest price comparison £145.60

I think that's the first time it's actually gone down.