Nippon Modus 105 v KBS Tour 90

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone using either of these, or tried both? Had a recent fitting and these were the top 2, and I'm struggling to separate them. Be interested to hear any experiences which may help me make a decision; I've got some thoughts and am leaning towards one but I won't say which at this stage.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got the Nippon Modus 105 in my new Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons. I've always played Dynamic Gold S300, but the Mizuno fitter tried a variety of shafts during custom fitting and the Nippon Modus 105 in X-flex came out best. Shot my best ever score (net 63) today, so I'm very happy with the clubs and shaft choice.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I've got the Nippon Modus 105 in my new Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons. I've always played Dynamic Gold S300, but the Mizuno fitter tried a variety of shafts during custom fitting and the Nippon Modus 105 in X-flex came out best. Shot my best ever score (net 63) today, so I'm very happy with the clubs and shaft choice.

Did your fitting throw up the KBS as well? And what did you particularly like about the Nippon?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
You are, fogive me saying this, a big unit.

Why are you going with light weight, airy fairy shafts?

I dont get it.

It's a fair description :D

Because I swing through the ball rather than lash at it apparently (cue much abuse from my forum "friends"….. :whistle:) according to the pro & the fitter. The fitter explained his choice and in doing so described a swing trait that my pro has picked up on previously.

Basically Murph, they gave me the best figures in both ball speed, spin and smash factor over my own irons that I hit first as a benchmark.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did your fitting throw up the KBS as well? And what did you particularly like about the Nippon?

I'm pretty sure I tried the KBS. It was the low ball flight that sealed it for me. I've always hit the ball too high and lost distance, but the trajectory with the Nippon Modus 105s was perfect.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are, fogive me saying this, a big unit.

Why are you going with light weight, airy fairy shafts?

I dont get it.
I'm as strong as an Oxe, but loathe heavy shafts.(and I've a real digger/hitter of the ball) I've been fitted for the exact shaft that Puttputtsteve has and in the end it all comes down to feel and results.

The Nippon is very nice (they are a smooth shaft but very stable even when I gave it full beans, lovely on feely shots too) not a huge fan of KBS shafts on a whole so never really tried it more than a few times.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've not hit the Nippons, but they are too light for me. I have a set of irons with the kbs tour 90 stiff, and i played with them for about a month. Very fragile, so not for me, and i prefer something around the 110 to 120 in weight. I chucked the 8 iron up a tree, and instead of bouncing, it went ching and snapped.

You do have a fairly deliberate swing, rather than eye balls out, feet off the ground though., so may be a good match.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a fair description :D

Because I swing through the ball rather than lash at it apparently (cue much abuse from my forum "friends"….. :whistle:) according to the pro & the fitter. The fitter explained his choice and in doing so described a swing trait that my pro has picked up on previously.

Basically Murph, they gave me the best figures in both ball speed, spin and smash factor over my own irons that I hit first as a benchmark.

So you are really a (big) wimp! :whistle: :rofl:

Man up and smack some (130gm-ish) S400s!

In reality, I'd suggest you get the heavier of the 2! Not for any other reason than it's quite possible/likely that you will (eventually) overpower the lighter ones, whereas you don't seem to be getting any significant benefit from them over the (slightly) heavier ones!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had 3 sets of Nippons. 1150GH Tour, Modus 3 120's now I've got the 105's. I've posted on here before that I changed from 120's to 105's because I got more club head speed and have gained a further 8-10yds more on my irons. Don't listen to the macho 130 grammars XX STIFF iron rod players, it's about getting the right shaft that works for you.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I've had 3 sets of Nippons. 1150GH Tour, Modus 3 120's now I've got the 105's. I've posted on here before that I changed from 120's to 105's because I got more club head speed and have gained a further 8-10yds more on my irons. Don't listen to the macho 130 grammars XX STIFF iron rod players, it's about getting the right shaft that works for you.

Oh, I know that, it's working out which one it is though….

Blue in Munich

Visit site
So you are really a (big) wimp! :whistle: :rofl:

Man up and smack some (130gm-ish) S400s!

In reality, I'd suggest you get the heavier of the 2! Not for any other reason than it's quite possible/likely that you will (eventually) overpower the lighter ones, whereas you don't seem to be getting any significant benefit from them over the (slightly) heavier ones!

103 grammes v 102 grammes; reckon that 1 gramme will make the difference?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, I know that, it's working out which one it is though….

the KBS has a higher ball flight and more spin then the Nippons which have a more penetrating flight. All you can do is look at the numbers and go with the one that is giving the best results for you.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
the KBS has a higher ball flight and more spin then the Nippons which have a more penetrating flight. All you can do is look at the numbers and go with the one that is giving the best results for you.

Sounds about right.
The KBS should be a little higher than what you have and the Nippon a little lower.
I don't think you'll go wrong with either to be honest...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I went from the Nippon to the KBS. Wish I'd stayed with the Nippon. Just a feel thing for me. Numbers were about the same, as was ball flight...

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Sounds about right.
The KBS should be a little higher than what you have and the Nippon a little lower.
I don't think you'll go wrong with either to be honest...

I went from the Nippon to the KBS. Wish I'd stayed with the Nippon. Just a feel thing for me. Numbers were about the same, as was ball flight...

Thanks guys. Your thoughts on the ball flight pretty much reinforce mine, although the flight difference appears minimal (I've hit demo clubs in both on the practice ground). I will have a closer look at the numbers with my pro next week (forgot the reading glasses when I did the fitting :rolleyes:) to see what that discloses. I possibly preferred the feel of the KBS, although the Nippon possibly provided more feedback. They'll be going into a combo set of H5/MP25/T7 if that changes anybody's thoughts. I'm leaning towards the Nippon at the moment, although not necessarily for any of the reasons discussed here, although it might be more accurate to say I'm leaning away from the KBS.