Nike str8 fit shaft adapter not fitted correctly?!?

cbradley1982

Visit site
Hey all. I'm new here and this is my first post so please be nice....

Bought a nike vr str8 fit driver off ebay and its arrived and something doesnt look right. The hosel doesnt look like its fitted correctly to the shaft and there is at least one full thread showing. Also it doesnt look like its fitted square. Hopefully the picture (if i manage to add one correctly) will explain all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Note: the thread showing is between the silver hosel and black adapter.

Attachments

• 20120529_191838.jpg
    20120529_191838.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 67

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never had one of those clubs, but it looks like it might be cross-threaded to me. It doesn't quite look straight, unless it's the pic?

Welcome by the way :)

cbradley1982

Visit site
Thanks dude. Its not the picture. It really does look that way! Not sure if I want to take it apart and make it worse if I can send it back the way it came...

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome mate. Never had one of those. But it does look wrong. A few lads on here have one I think. So with a bit of luck, one of them may see your post.

Its the thread showing that would worry me. As there will be a lean one way or the other that is how the loft, lie etc change.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would take the head off with the wrench, and carefully put it back on, checking the threads aren't crossed. It may be that the plastic ferrule just needs pushing down to cover the gap. The way the Nike str8 fit works means that on some settings it doesn't look that straight if I remember correctly. There is quite a long splined part that engages in the head, and it is pretty easy to assemble correctly, and not easy to get wrong (can't think how it can be wrong really).

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reshafted one of these a while back an if memory serves me the ferrule is just pushed and glued into place,the markings need to be aligned correctly but other than that it serves only as cosmetics.See if you can pull it back and simply re-apply.

freshcat

Hacker
Visit site
I have this driver, it just looks like it has not been fitted correctly. Simply unscrew and realign.
If they have sent the wrench and the booklet it explains all the settings in there.
Also there is a video on you tube on how to adjust this club, just do a search on you tube

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I remember correctly the screw thead is under the alloy nut and it's almost impossible to cross thread as the splined end fitting helps to ensure that everything is correctly aligned. The rubber seal where the shaft butts up against the hosel is correctly compressed which indicates that the STR8 adaptor is seated correctly.

It is possible that a new shaft may have been fitted at some point but who ever has done it may not have done a particularly good job of seating the ferrule correctly. You may find that it is purely cosmetic however if you have any doubts it may be worth popping in to see your local pro for a second opinion.

By the way I have had two of these and it is a cracking driver that does not lack for distance.

Last edited: