Nike SQ Dymo2 Str8-fit...help!

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and i desperately hope someone can help!

I am 23 and started playing golf around 10 years or so ago, but stopped playing about 7 years ago. I took up the sport again last summer and have been absolutely hooked (and reading the magazine) ever since.

I was using the Nike SQ 5000 for about 4 months but regularly hit an horrific slice. I bought a Dymo2 Str8-fit this week, setting the club to draw to try and counteract the slice. I took it up the range for the first time yesterday and in all of the draw settings i am still hitting the slice.

I was wondering where to start really. I recently moved out of my parents house, into my first home with my fianceé and money is tight at the moment and i cant afford to get my clubs custom fitted and i have no idea how much the price is to have my swing speed looked at...nor do i live close to somewhere that offers this service.

I am looking for some general pointers, so at least i have a something to work with? I am 6 feet tall and the shaft fitted in the driver is the regular stock shaft. Also could you recommend what length of shaft is ideal for a 6 foot person as my iron play can be very good but i also play terrible...very inconsistent!

Thank you very much in advance!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome along mate.

I'm not the best person to dish out advice but i would suggest using any spare golf cash on lessons ahead of kit at this point.

Should identify whats causing the slice rather than chopping and changing clubs looking for something that works.

Hope u find something that works though!

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the site...

I like many have also gone and got a driver with the new tech, taylor made and the weights ect. I believed that if i sliced the ball a draw clubs would sort that.

:-( sadly its not the case, after many lessons and hrs at teh ranege I have now sorted my swing and hit a nice draw, My 8.5 degree R7 is set to nutral.

Sorry to say its all about the swing, the new tech will help if you have a nice consistant swing.

Have a few lessons, up the driver loft, if sure a fitting with a good pro will show a 11degree + loft would be best for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and i desperately hope someone can help!

I am 23 and started playing golf around 10 years or so ago, but stopped playing about 7 years ago. I took up the sport again last summer and have been absolutely hooked (and reading the magazine) ever since.

I was using the Nike SQ 5000 for about 4 months but regularly hit an horrific slice. I bought a Dymo2 Str8-fit this week, setting the club to draw to try and counteract the slice. I took it up the range for the first time yesterday and in all of the draw settings i am still hitting the slice.

I was wondering where to start really. I recently moved out of my parents house, into my first home with my fianceé and money is tight at the moment and i cant afford to get my clubs custom fitted and i have no idea how much the price is to have my swing speed looked at...nor do i live close to somewhere that offers this service.

I am looking for some general pointers, so at least i have a something to work with? I am 6 feet tall and the shaft fitted in the driver is the regular stock shaft. Also could you recommend what length of shaft is ideal for a 6 foot person as my iron play can be very good but i also play terrible...very inconsistent!

Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome. There are loads of good instructional videos on YouTube that could help with explaining how a slice is caused. You could set a driver to mega-hook and still be able to slice it if you are: opening the club face in your backswing and not closing it by the time you make it back to the ball or, if you have an out-to-in swing.

You could also film your swing and let us lot analyse it lol. Obviously a lesson is a good shout but if money is tight...

As for driver length I'm a wee bit taller than you but prefer a slightly shorter driver. I've got pretty long arms so when I use a longer driver e.g. TM Burner, I feel like I'm standing miles away from the ball. There are wrist-to-floor measurement charts online that tell you what your ideal length of shaft is but I'd go with what you feel comfortable with.

rayzer88

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! :) Its interesting what you said about feeling miles away from the ball, as thats what i've felt with both the SQ and the Dymo2. I went to the range earlier today and no real difference until i slightly changed my grip.

I'd always gripped how i've been shown in magazines and online (V shape pointing to the right shoulder), but on the last 3 balls i hit, i made a larger V if that makes sense, with my thumb facing further left, resting on my middle finger. The ball, although still slightly right, was a lot more straight, something i'm going to work on with a full basket tomorrow.

I'm going to get a swing analyzer on my ipod this evening (i knew that christmas present would come in handy!) and i'll try and upload a video of my swing tomorrow.

Thanks so much both!!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got the same driver and had a similar problem, all my shots were going to the right.

I have a few lessons where the pro changed my grip and saw that as I came through the ball with the driver I wasn't turning my hands, thus leaving me with a fairly open club face causing the slice.

I worked on turning my hands on the down swing and slowed the whole swing right down. I can now it a nice drive with a left to right shape.