Nike Cover Driver

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Nike Covert Driver

I was at the Homelands Golf Range in Ashford Kent this afternoon chatting with Howard, the head pro, when the Nike rep turned up laden with goodies.

Of most interest was the new Covert drivers as I had heard of it and seen photo's, but not seen it in the flesh. I only had a few hits with them but they wern't what I expected. There were two models, the 460cc for us mere mortals and the 430cc which will appeal to the better players and the first thing to say was that the red colour might not appeal to the absolute purist but I thought it looked pretty darned good. The underneath rear of the club is cut away fairly deeply which, apparently, helps with a better ball flight. Also the Nike "swoosh" logo is prevelent, especially on the rear of the head but is not obtrusive when using the club.

The main thing with the club was the high degree of adjustment for finding the right custom fit, as it could be adjusted in 1* increments from about (I cant remember for certain) 8.5* to 12.5* and the face turned in or out as required. My understanding was that you have the fitting and then the club is glued into your spec although I might be wrong in saying that the pro model might stay adjustable.

I think that the 2 pro's, and I, who hit it all thought that the cutaway back and the lightness of the head would generate and awful tingy sound reminicent of some ealier Cobra drivers, but no, it sounded pretty solid to me and that was just set on 10.5*, neutral face, with a regular stock shaft - not my spec at all.

I can see Nike selling a fair number of these, especially when Rory and several other pro's swith to Nike in the New year. It certainly is one to try if Father Christmas leaves cash for golf gear!

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Nike Covert Driver

Good write up. A few people I know are talking about the new Nike kit. It looks interesting and might be worth a look in the new year.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Re: Nike Covert Driver

Certainly should be on the " to try " list - I don't know the prices though.