Night golf competitions

boltonlad

Visit site
Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on night golf competitions? I've never played in one but have just seen that a local club is running one over winter and would be interested in giving it a go! I can see why they would be quite fun but at the same time it seems like quite a lot of money (£20) given that it's only 5 holes. Part of me also thinks it could be pretty dangerous but I'm sure it's all been thought through and planned!

Has anyone played in one before and if so any thoughts? Are they normally only 4/5/6 holes rather than anymore?

Thanks!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have to say that is one thing that really doesn't float my boat at all.
If you're out walking on paths in the dark then you've got a chance of not falling down a rabbit hole, tripping over a bush or branch or walking into a tree.
In the dark on a golf course...?
No thanks.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It was seriously the worst thing I've ever done. Even in August it was really cold at night, walking was a nightmare as you cant see holes in the ground. Most of the players hated it and vowed never to organise another one

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played one at Tain a few years ago, main problem was you only had one ball each, two of the guys i was playing with lost theirs on the 2nd hole. might be OK on a parkland but on an undulation links a few fell in bunkers and down undulations, though that was quite funny. would give it a go again

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's gimmicky but fun. Done it a couple of times and wouldn't do it again.

Good to say you've done it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have played a few. Good fun, but some cheat with torches. Seriously, how badly do you want to win night golf? Bizarre.
Biggest laugh I had was when one of us fell in a bunker. Never saw it coming.
6 holes is all you need. It is enough.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go with cpl of mates for the craic and it will b that and gud laugh.
We got 2 balls each and a head torch . Balls light up for 3 min and u rotate the ball on each hole .
Ul do it once r twice and thatl b it .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It was seriously the worst thing I've ever done. Even in August it was really cold at night, walking was a nightmare as you cant see holes in the ground. Most of the players hated it and vowed never to organise another one

That’s saved me a lot of typing, thanks Chris.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've done a couple, and yes its a good laugh. Worst thing though is how hard the balls are, and being sure to have the glow stick in the right place when you hit the ball.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve played a few times in almost pitch black at some hotel courses, they light the last couple of holes with floodlights but they barely worked and I swear I was putting out to the lights of the hotel itself. That wasn’t fun and it was in Spain.

I can’t imagine playing golf at night in England.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did one last year on a Par3 course, but only 9 holes.

Absolutely awful :ROFLMAO:

I was expecting some sort of lighting supplied, but all we got for our money was one light up ball each and a couple of cheap glow sticks like the ones you get from the supermarket.

All for £25 each.

I think there were about 8 foursomes too, so the bloke who organised it was laughing all the way to the bank :cautious:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one I played has the fairways marked. Pins marked and we were allowed one torch per 4 ball. Sounds like it was done much better than some others

IanMcC

Visit site
We had one at our club about a year ago. I didn't play as I was at work, but the consensus was that it was too dangerous, and no one would want to do it again. People were driving through the groups in front of them on a regular basis.