Night and day

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The penny finally dropped yesterday, i had joined a real golf club,the difference being for the past three seasons i was member of a golf coarse,What's the difference i hear you say ? everything , from having a proper pro shop,not a pokey wee hole next to the locker rooms that just sells mars bars and coke instead of proper gear that even if you are not buying, you are made feel welcome and you can browse to subside the impulse of buying shiny new clubs etc,
The course is in phenomenal condition for this time of year, not a muddy field where you can probably still graze cattle, ok pretty harsh i know but when i look back i didn't realise what i was playing on, you can visibly see where your annual fee is going with work on the course taking place not an empty promise at an AGM and nothing being done at all.
At the end of your round you can enter a nice clubhouse steeped in it's history and golf related pictures etc to enjoy a couple of drinks and a roll with your playing partners without having to take out a bank loan to pay for it and standing in a Que three deep with people attending a wedding reception.
Everything seemed right yesterday and enjoyed it very much and i hope it stays that way for the years to come .

has anyone had this sort of experience before? or does anyone feel this way about their club?

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
hardy har har har, am so glad that everyone else wasn't as daft us us fan dans and financing a restaurant for 3-4 years

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
..... to enjoy a couple of drinks and a roll with your playing partners

Stop right there Boabski. I never rolled with anyone. You and Kenny must have had your 'roll' when I was changing my shoes ;)

I had the same on my warbird a few years ago and I used 800 wet and dry on it them 1200 wet and dry to polish it up. I ended up doing 6 guys in the club.

Were you too busy "Doing six guys in the club" at the time Andra? :D

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
has anyone had this sort of experience before? or does anyone feel this way about their club?

Felt that way when I joined my new club - like that bit of music from Ferris Buelers Day Off when get his mates' fathers' Ferrari California GT out of the spotless garage and on the road for the first time:-

Boom Boom.....chicka chickahhh

some may say that these thngs aren't important (and they might be right) but it's nice to have them nevertheless.

Hope you continue to enjoy these fringe benefits and the course for a long time :rolleyes:

only downside is you'll get spoilt when you go somewhere they don't have these ammenities

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The atmosphere at Royal Ascot has been described as the best pub set in golfing surroundings. The banter is always good (and lively) without over stepping the mark and golfing traditions and etiqutte observed (dress code etc).

When I rejoined from several years of nomadic golf at local pay and play courses it made me realise what being a member of a proper club meant.

Don't get me wrong fellow forum members I am not knocking pay and play and those who prefer not to be club members but in the clubhouses of the 3 local pay and plays to me I have seen a bloke glassed, drugs taken in the gents and a bar so filthy I feared I'd contract a nasty infection.

The courses were actually very good which made the after golf experience sooooo disappointing. If only they could get the (club) houses in order they would actually have clubs I would have thought about joining.

It is horses for courses. There are numerous P&P courses throughout the UK that are indeed better than some more prestigious private clubs. It is just the experiences I have had that made me take up the invitation to rejoin without hesitation

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My club is pretty much my second home. I spend so much time there in the summer. Sometimes I just pop in for breakfast and a read of the papers.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It makes a difference, doesn't it, Boabski?

My new club is only 6-7 years old but it already has a great "club" atmosphere. You'll always see a friendly face. Everyone seems proud of it and it's lovely to travel down to just for a spot of lunch, a read of the papers and to enjoy the views over the Forth to Fife. Just makes you happy! We're lucky boys, you know.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
StuartD, our old club (as I played the same course as him) was not a complete disgrace. The problem was they focused too much on wedding parties in their function suite than accomodating the golfers that pay up every year. An example ; two pints of draft Coke (£1.80 each) and a can of diet Coke (£1.20) it cost £4.80 for the round but in the new club it cost £2.20. A pint of Grolsch was £3.00 and 1L Magners was £4.25. The course is set amongst an exclusive housing 'sheme ;)' and they feel duty bound to keep the riff raff away with higher prices.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was just the muddy field and fighting through wedding parties made me think it could be Pumpherston (my club) Boabski was talking about.

Exclusive housing scheme and trying to keep riff raff away (I include me in this :D :D) tells me it most definitely is not.

Those prices are almost as bad as Edinburgh pubs. Shocking