Newcastle relegated

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sad to see such a well supported club go down.
However I'm amazed at the statement issued by director Lee Chandley. He states "we need to review exactly what went wrong this season"
Eh it's obvious, we appoint a manager, who in the previous season was in charge at Derby in the championship. They were clear leaders all season to get promoted, then dropped like a stone towards the end and came no where.
Right that's our appointment we'll get McClaren !!!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Feel sorry for the fans but think the club need to get past this "we're a big club" idea they seem to have. Sadly you aren't and haven't been for years. Leeds thought the same and look where they were. I think it needs a clear out and maybe a new boss but it also needs time to build a squad that can get promotion and then stay in the PL without a regular relegation battle. It takes time and cash and patience from all sides

On the plus side I'm looking forward to Fulham playing them again and planning a trip up there depending on the date. Tempted to take HID as its a fantastic part of the country but also tempted to go on a blokes weekend and get bladdered

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sad to see such a well supported club go down.
However I'm amazed at the statement issued by director Lee Chandley. He states "we need to review exactly what went wrong this season"
Eh it's obvious, we appoint a manager, who in the previous season was in charge at Derby in the championship. They were clear leaders all season to get promoted, then dropped like a stone towards the end and came no where.
Right that's our appointment we'll get McClaren !!!!!

I suspect there are more entrenched and structural failures throughout the club rather than just the manager. They only scraped avoiding relegation the year before, so blaming a manager and chopping and changing them as they seem to do on a frequent basis is at best is papering over the cracks, and won't solve much.

D

Deleted member 16999

1 problem, Ashley,
People miss the point when "big club" is mentioned, saying they are a big club isn't saying they or any team deserve to win, but when you've got 40-50 thousand people paying good money week in week out their money should be respected and spent wisely, Newcastle/Leeds/ Villa are all big clubs and should proudly call themselves such, it just doesn't come with any guarantees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Football evolves, some clubs don't. For every Villa, Newcastle, Leeds, Wolves, Forest etc. There are Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton and even lowly Burton that are at the polar opposite.
whats wrong with Newcastle Mike Ashley.
Those fans dont deserve what is going off at there club, neither do fans of the other clubs that have struggled.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 problem, Ashley,
People miss the point when "big club" is mentioned, saying they are a big club isn't saying they or any team deserve to win, but when you've got 40-50 thousand people paying good money week in week out their money should be respected and spent wisely, Newcastle/Leeds/ Villa are all big clubs and should proudly call themselves such, it just doesn't come with any guarantees.

Spot on

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a number of issues at Newcastle and the start is the owner. They have a nonsense recruitment policy which means they only sign players under 26 that may have a re-sale value. They also aim to buy "value" foreign players that they can make a profit on. As has been pointed out this morning, they would never have signed Defoe, it would not have been allowed.

Their academy has barely produced a player in 15 years. Massive pool to pick from and nothing comes through.

Poor choice of manager and they stuck with him too long. Part of the problem being they want a yes man, Pardew, Carver and McClaren, were I can guarantee Benitez is not.

The club has alienated the fans. They don't speak to the local press, they were banned for a long time, Ashley barely speaks at all. The PR is appalling. This helps create a poor atmosphere as the fans constantly want Ashley out and make their feelings known.

There are other problems, It is deep rooted.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
blame Ashley ,thats all you ever hear ,that and we are a BIG CLUB .
well Ashley runs the club as a business and as such do you really think he wants to lose money in a business venture .
look at last years spending , the toon were second only to man city in nett spending last season so you cant say the money hasnt been there to buy players . the biggest problem is far too much change in managers , Houghton ,why did they get shot of him .he did well for them . and now they have Rafa ,will they sack him as he was in charge when they went down? they would be bloody fools if they did ,Rafa is a class act and will put them back in the prem next season if they stick with him . cant see it happening though as the usual knee jerk will kick in and he will be gone having never having had a chance to get them out of the mire they were in before he arrived.
big club ,i dont think so .a big club once maybe .just because they get a few punters through the gate on matchday dosent say we are a big club ,big clubs perform at the top not fail at the bottom ,no matter how many bums are on the seats watching it.
Newcastle went down because of poor results ,not good enough to stay in the top flite of english football. hopefully now with Rafa in charge [if they keep him]they will be back after cleaning up in the championship.

D

Deleted member 16999

There are very few "bigger" clubs than Newcastle, why is big tied to success?
Huge fan base, modern stadium hosting World Class other sports, long History, multi million pound business,
So basically a lack of silverware discounts you from being a big club,
4th highest average attendance, not exactly a few punters, certainly big business,

Last edited by a moderator:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have been awful all season and really dont deserve to stay up. I think the club need to have a look at the structure and their policies of player signings and bargain deals for players and staff.
I would love to see Benitez stay, but I am afraid he will go, he is a great manager and can quite easily get a job elsewhere, Ashley should throw what ever cash he wants at him to stay!
lee Charnley, instead of his big pay increase should be frog marched off the premises, it was his choice to appoint the wolly with the brolly!
We need a huge clearout of the mediocre players, but who would want them, some of the better players, Wijnaldum, sissoko, krul, etc will leave i think, if Rafa stayed I think the likes of Townsend, shelvey, perez would be happy to have a crack at the championship as they will feel they are young enough still and can learn from Rafa.
I would like to see Armstrong given a good chance next year, he started on fire with coventry and has bags of potential, and being a local lad he will play for the shirt.
Onwards and upwards though :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Rather the similar opposite of the transgender bloke who proclaims himself to be a woman (or vice versa) - and so feels entitled to be treated as a woman (including going into the ladies loos?). Naw yer a bloke - so keep out of the ladies loos. And so with NUFC today 'we're an EPL Big Club' they say. Naw your a relegated Championship club - sort it out.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rather the similar opposite of the transgender bloke who proclaims himself to be a woman (or vice versa) - and so feels entitled to be treated as a woman (including going into the ladies loos?). Naw yer a bloke - so keep out of the ladies loos. And so with NUFC today 'we're an EPL Big Club' they say. Naw your a relegated Championship club - sort it out.

Must admit, you've lost me with this one! :confused: