Newbie!

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
Evening, have just come across this forum so thought i'd get involved a bit and try to get some good advice to try and improve my game!

Im 20, from essex and just started playing golf around the middle of october. Firstly, although i havn't been playing too long i used to go to the driving range a few times as a kid and as a result i'm a bit better than i expected to be. Well for someone that has only been playing a few months anyway. Local course is pretty good for a begginer as i don't think there are many easy holes, best score over 9 holes so far is 38 and par is 31..i can't see myself getting near that again for the time being as i was putting like a God and usually im awful!

Anyway just wanted to ask for a few pointers and to clear a few bits up. How far can i get on a set of £100 clubs? What are GI clubs? I'm thinking my best bet is to spend some money on lessons just to see if it's worth seeing if i should be taking it a bit more seriously, my one concern is though i don't want to start having too many technical issues on my mind when playing golf. i've learnt from playing other sports (cricket) that overthinking things can just ruin the whole sport for me.

Sorry for rambling on anyway but any help would be appreciated!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The gi in clubs is Game Improver etc usually have cavity backing on the heads and are easier to get the ball airbourne (allegedly!)

As most will tell you lessons wil always help and your pro can usually advise on clubs and may even have some gear available second hand etc.

Oh and welcome aboard!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons are definitely the way forward. Get the basics right and you can build a solid golf game on firm foundations. You're starting with an almost blank canvass and so haven't got the swing faults so many of us on here have and so it'll be easier to get the right moves ingrained straight away. For me and I'm sure others, we're fighting a battle with our lessons to correct years of ingrained bad habits to get to something that repeats and is reliable.

I've seen guys play great golf with some real old rubbish clubs. I think Justone on here has some museum pieces he still uses and he plays pretty tidy golf. I guess it depends on whether you have the budget to get lessons and upgrade the clubs.

GI are Game improver clubs. There are the SGI which are the big thick soled clubs you see with huge cavity backs. The GI range encompasses the broadest spectrum and will suit anyone really even down to a good standard. They are designed to be pretty forgiving and so ideal for newbies as the off centre shots won't get punished. Thy are usually designed to give a high ball flight and give the player the confidence to get the ball airborne without trying to scoop or help it. The best advice is to speak to a local pro and try before you buy. Personally I'd stay away from places like American Golf as they feed off new players and wil try and force you into buying Nicklaus, Yonex or Wilson as they have the biggest mark up and won't show you other brandsthat are equally if not better and possibly cheaper (thats just my view based on numerous bad experiences mind)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
i've learnt from playing other sports (cricket) that overthinking things can just ruin the whole sport for me

Take a tip that was posted by Snelly - golf is essentaially a simple game, get the clubhead through the ball in the direction you would like the ball to go. Don't clutter up your mind by thinking too much - everything else will, eventually, fall into place.

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
My local club is purely just a 9 hole course and a driving range so would have to go travel to get to a place who can custom fit clubs..i presume this is the best way to go about things? There is a club about 25mins away which does look great but they have an American golf shop so i'm guessing it could be wise to avoid them? The guy i play with is in the same boat but has money burning in his pocket so just picked up some nike slingshot irons! Happy to spend money on a good set of clubs just not sure if they are going to help me without lessons beforehand. Playing nearly twice a week at the moment so have definitely caught the golfing bug.

Bythesea

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi nickd499.
I would say that your score of 38 for a par of 31 suggest that you have a future in this great game, it will hold you frustrate you, but once hooked you will be unable to leave it alone, and that from a 75yr old who has been at it for something like 45yrs. It has an element of expense but I would suggest that you find a good Pro and get him to have a look at your swing, it is as well to start with the right fundamentals, Grip, Posture etc, then I hope you enjoy the game as much as I have, that's not a bad life!!!! Good luck.
Bythesea.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
With £100 pick up a set of used Titleist DCI cavity back with R300 shafts. Dont get too technical with the swing - agreed. But do yourself a big favour learn how to grip the club properly from day one. For example a cack handed grip will get you so far but eventually (inevitably) you will change it and it will feel like you're learning the game all over again from scratch. On the flip side a solid grip will serve you well for years to come and will save you from a lot of grief.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

Lots of great advice on here.

Would defiately agree that lessons will be the best way to ensure to get off on the right track.

Getting the set up right is fundemental to a good swing.

I remember a great coment by Ernie Els - we can't all swing like a pro but we can all set up like one.

Anyway, most of all have fun playing he greatest game/sport in the world!

Bythesea

Medal Winner
Visit site
Go and talk to Stuart Levermore Clacton-on-Sea G C, just across the road from Millers Barn, tell him Norman Starling recommended you, and told you he would treat you right.

Last edited:

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Play at millers barn in Clacton, i know lexden golf have an AG shop but not to sure of many others.

Don't mind travelling, cheers.

Lexden Golf course itself is not up to much. Played it several times and have a range membership there. The AG there is good as you can use the range to see the ball flight etc. Owen and Gary in there are very helpful and they all play golf with decent handicaps of scratch-14hcp. Owen is club champion at Colchester GC and is pretty decent with recomendations.

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers, will be sure to take a look there when i make the plunge for some new clubs. May also go there for lessons if they are as good as you say. What are the best lessons to get? Just single blocks of lessons or i have seen the lessons where you play 6 holes and do lessons on top of that, also there are course management lessons..what exactly are they?

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
nickd499 take bythesea's advice I know him and I know Stuart Levermore at Clacton GC he's a really good teacher..Get in touch with the office at Clacton GC I think they have an offer on at the moment for beginners..
Good luck and welcome