Newbie looking for advice!

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All

I'm new to golf and looking to get into it properly. Last Christmas I got a full beginner set of clubs (see here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodworm-Go...&qid=1374045028&sr=8-2&keywords=woodworm+zoom) which has a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 iron, PW, SW, putter, 1 wood, 3 wood and hybrid/rescue club.

I've had a few sessions at the driving range and am struggling for consistently being able to make a clean contact with the ball, but I'm going to have a few lessons there from a pro so that I can hopefully address that and then get out and play some games with a friend on a course for some "real" practice!

However, I accompanied a friend on a 2 hour "playing lesson" with a pro the other day, and was told that although the irons in my set are perfectly fine for a beginner, the driver was very poor and flexed far too much, and that I would be much better off ditching that driver and investing in a good one.

So, to that end, can anyone recommend a suitable driver for a begginer? I don't really want to spend more than about £100 as I just don't have it at the moment with paying for some lessons etc, but don't know where to start - so many different brands and styles etc!

At the moment when I go to the range I just use irons, as I can't seem to do anything with the driver, so am trying to walk before I run!

Thanks all for any advice!

Martin

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forumn. If you really feel the need to get a driver i would check out the usual places like ebay etc as there are some bargains about due to the amount of drivers being released, so last years models are are a good buy. I wouldnt worry too much at present though. If youre new to the game just practice on your irons and hybrid for now. My nephew has just started and wanted a driver because thats what we used but got frustrated because he couldnt hit it so he practiced with his 4 iron and in this weather is keeping up with us distance wise. I played the weekend using irons and hybrids only and to be honest my score wasnt far off what i normally hit,

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
A very warm welcome, take some advice from a friendly pro. Then take a look at models which have been replaced, ping G20, Callaway, RBZ, etc you will find a bargain. Drivers especially are 'improved' all the time so if you go for a run out model you can get a great bargain.

Direct golf, clubhouse golf or american golf are all good places to look.

Be aware that some shops look to sell what is best for them and NOT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.

Good shopping

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello and welcome,

has the pro who suggested you change driver not got any traded in used branded driver you could try on practice ground before buying?
if not have a ring around local pros and retail outlets to see if there are any that have a few used drivers you could try?
if its flexing more of a shaft issue but is easier to get a decent used club rather than change shaft in a beginners set.

good luck have fun trying some new big dogs out.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I agree with Bob,you'll not get a better driver for the money than Ping G10. Not sure if you'll need stiff flex tho. Try one before buying if possible

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Does your range have a shop attached? If so have a look in the second hand department - people are always wanting the latest gear but as you're just getting into the game these trade ins are just fine for you.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd recommend anything in the ping g range or the mizuno jpx800 is easy enough to hit

But I'd really recommend not bothering with a driver and find a good 3 or 5 wood to hit off the tee

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I am sure you hopefully know this, but be very careful about buying golf clubs off ebay as there are a lot of fakes on there. Only buy from very reputable sellers. Don't believe any of the guff about sellers winning stuff in competitions etc etc.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do beginers think they have to master the driver from the off?
Learn to hit the irons supplemented by a five wood.
Good luck BRISTOL86 and welcome to the forum.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why do beginers think they have to master the driver from the off?
Learn to hit the irons supplemented by a five wood.
Good luck BRISTOL86 and welcome to the forum.

Easy distance off the tee, plus it's fun. No harder to master than any other shot.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome aboard!

I trust the Pro gave the Woodworm one a waggle!

He would be the one to ask whether a 'Stiff' or 'Regular' shaft was appropriate - though there is no actual standard.

Ping clubs are generally very 'user friendly' but the shaft of the one Bob has pointed out is Stiff and is quite Low Spin and Launch, so might not be appropriate.

Best way, even at your level, is to try a few to see what you actually get on with. Then find one at a decent price.

You could always simply do without the Driver for a while. Not quite as much fun though!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
but the shaft of the one Bob has pointed out is Stiff and is quite Low Spin and Launch, so might not be appropriate.

Just because Bristol 86 is new to the game doesn't mean he has a slower swing speed. I chose the stiff shaft in response to the Reg shaft in the woodworm driver being "far too whippy" And as for the shaft being low launch....that's only what the blurb says. It does have 10.5 loft which will help and at £40 currently, he cant really go wrong.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice and tips, very much appreciated!

I think to be honest I may well just stick with irons at the moment and master the basics of the swing with the irons before I start looking at adding a driver into my game.

Chances are, while I'm learning the game, I will probably be playing on par 3 courses anyway rather than full courses and probably unlikely to require the additional distance that the driver offers.

I think a slow and steady approach to the game is probably my best option!

I'm going away next week but when I get back I will be looking into taking a couple of lessons with a pro until I feel like I can do the basics of the swing right - and then will add as much practice on my own as possible!

As and when I feel I need to add a driver, I will have a go with a few at the local pro shop and see what feels right!

Thanks all, happy golfing! :D