Newbie - Distance Improvement

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I remember when I first started, we played at a muni course which had 3 fairway bunkers in a line across about 130 yards off the 1st tee, a 260 yard par 4. We always struggled to clear them! Fast-forward about 12 years, and a friend and I went back to play it. Those same bunkers were maybe in play for a PW or 9 iron, and I drove the green!
Distance will improve with time and technique.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hi All

I am a total newbie to golf. I have started with lessons and yet to progress to a course. At the moment I have only had 4 lessons and in between I have been to the range to practice. I have only been using a couple of Iron's a 4 & 7. I am concentrating on my technique etc. Yesterday was really the first time I was looking at the distance I was hitting them. With my 7 Iron, I noticed on average I was hitting approx 100yds. I did a Google to see what I compared with and it seems I am rather low.

I know everyone is different, but I would like to think that with practice and experience this should increase?

At the beginning stages of golf, it's best to concentrate on making solid contact.
No need to worry about distance at all until some small measure of consistent contact is achieved.
When you hit the ball well enough, it will fly as far as it needs to fly.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember when I first started, we played at a muni course which had 3 fairway bunkers in a line across about 130 yards off the 1st tee, a 260 yard par 4. We always struggled to clear them! Fast-forward about 12 years, and a friend and I went back to play it. Those same bunkers were maybe in play for a PW or 9 iron, and I drove the green!
Distance will improve with time and technique.

Royal Magpie perchance?? :whistle: