Newbie 3 wood

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
New to golf, about 6 months or so. Struggling of the tee and was thinking of using a 3 wood for more control, is this a good idea and what would people suggest i buy in the xmas sales???

Thanks

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely get one. In my first season I played without one and so ended up using the driver too much. The 3 wood is so much better at hitting narrow fairways. Why go driver-wedge when you can go 3wood-7 iron and still hit the green in two? I bought my Benross for about £40 in the January sales last year and would recommend it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take your driver and sell it on Ebay or chuck it in the bin. DO you realize that you will probably be able to hit the ball further off the tee with a 3-wood. Too many people are obsessed with hitting the driver because they think it will help them shoot lower scores. I started as a kid and my dad would not even buy me a driver. I played for the first couple of years just using a 3-wood and it got my handicap down very quickly. Even now I like to use my 3-wood from the tee as much as possible.

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, i think the 3 wood would help with control, nothing worse than starting from the rough on every other hole. Is it worth spending a lot of money on a 3 wood as a beginner?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, you should get a decent brand 3 wood after Christmas for around £50, or, if you can't wait, Direct Golf are selling Nike SQ Machspeed for £59 and Online Golf are doing a Callaway for the same. When the likes of Benross and MD introduce their new ranges you can usually pick up an old model for £40