NEW Wilson Di9 irons

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They don't look that special to me. Could be GI kit from any of the main players. Bit of offset (too much), thick top line, undercut cavity, bit of chrome, done.

Not sure about the short hozel either. Looks ugly and going to be difficult to custom fit for lie angle.

Can't see why Padraig would play with these (except money).

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly a more modern up to date look form my perspective something quite a few manufacturers seem to be going for in their game improvement/ cavity backed irons with Mizuno for example seemingly going for a brighter approach of white writing on a vibrant blue background for labeling as opposed to the simple plain labeling that was found on their last irons such as the mx25s and mx19s etc. And similarly with Ping and their new Raptures, they have made them look ultra modern. So whether this is just being done as a way of giving their older irons a facelift I am not sure- it may just be a new marketing ploy to try and gain peoples attention. Either way the Wilson's look very forgiving and actually quite attractive to the eye with their shiny chrome finish and to be fair they don't look like a simply updated model of any previous wilson irons I have seen. Has anybody at GM used one yet? And if so how did it perform? And also is it me or do they look quite significantly offset in the picture of the Di9 face?- it may just be my laptop display playing games with me but I couldn't help thinking that this if it is the case surely wouldn't appeal to the likes of Harrington who would inevitably have to use a tour version of the clubs with less offset.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I must be in a minority as i do not find these or many of the other new clubs to be released this year ugly. OK they are never going to look as sexy as a gleaming set of blades but i have resigned myself to using game improvement irons for a good few years and actually like the look of some. These Di9s look great to me (though I agree that the ofset looks pretty severe) and I even quite like the look of the Ping raptures. Each to their own I suppose.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As someone who has used Callaways a lot over the last few years (X14 and X20) and now has a set of R7's I've accepted a long time ago that I will never win any sexiest irons in the bag prizes. However all these clubs have been functional for my swing and ability and all have duly got me wins in club competitions. I am never going to be good enough for blades again so I will take functionality over buying something on looks alone every time

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
not very pleasing on the eye are they,preferred the Pi7 look better and they were not even used by Harrington by accounts,i think he stuck with the Pi5 for thid season,Also not a great fan of the Fat shaft

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
unlike Ping with their bilious green, Wilson seem to have stuck to their house colour scheme; not that that matters a damn.
all in all they don't look anything special but as one who has long maintained that looks don't matter, it's whether they work (only to come a cropper with the Wilson Spine - don't like the white shaft and sounds truly awful), I would be prepared to try them out even though I don't like the short hosel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a set of fat shafts when they first came out. Did ok with them but never really goton with looking down and seeing a chunk of scaffold pole masquerading as a shaft. Was the only piece of Wilson kit I ever owned and these new clubs won't be enticing me back either

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm, Not happy with the looks of them. They looked like they were going to be right lookers in the advert! I prefer the Di7 looks.

OH well, I will no doubt be dying to try them once they are released.

When you testing them GM???