New to golf

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My mate spoke to me this evening about taking uo golf properly. He was asking what to buy etc and can spend up to about 400 maybe stretch a bit for a reasonable set. I told him best bet is a good 2nd hand set and lessons. He has been teachin himself with a pw and 6i and driver from sport world. He wants to go AG as been in there before with me. So I told him to try things before you buy and I won't let him go on his own as he will come home with complete gash they push lol.
Any advice apart from gi clubs? He sent me a pic of blades to which I explained they look nice but not practical lol.
I've explained about hybrids to him being easier than long irons and said he can try mine to see if he can get on with them as I am changing my benross ones.
Wants me to go to a local 9hole par 3course with him to give pointers before he goes on a proper course. But might just suggest drivin range is better as he can use all his clubs.
Any ideas for clubs? I think something like my setup would be ok for him??

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
with a good friend like you on board a decent set up similar to yours looksideally to me should give your mate a nice solid start and you a new golfing buddy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends how serious he is
I've seen new golfers rush out and spend 100s of pounds and 3 months later, they are on Ebay for half the price.
Maybe start off with a second hand half set and get some lessons.

Do a search on ebay for half sets

Then, if after a few months he still likes golf, then upgrade

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with Bob 100%

I think he has to find out whether he actually likes golf as opposed to the idea of golf or buying lots of nice shiny golf gear.

I'd say get out on the par 3 as well as hitting clubs on the range. It won't take long to see if he has the bug or not.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing he has been looking as txt me today asking about Taylormade stuff and like the super fast driver and 3wood and thinks they are a good price lol