New Tablet

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
p.s Kindle fire HD has no camera(so no skype) and you cant expand the memory which is only about 4.5GB usuable

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't beat the I Pad. Just does everything you need.

D

Deleted member 15344

But - you wouldn't be too disappointed with the new Kindle Fire HDX ( better for books ) and the Tesco Tablet is very good for its price.

I would stay away from Nexus or Samsung - functionality of both are poor IMO.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
I've had an iPad 2, followed by a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 and now I'm using a Sony xperia Z1 tablet. They have all done basically the same things, as mentioned the iPad works flawlessly, though you're tied into all things Apple, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Samsung had the benefit of the S-pen, this device worked really well and allowed a lot of creativity if required. The downside was the screen resolution, not as sharp as the older iPad, let alone the newer ones. I also experienced a few too many system freezes with the Samsung. The iPad never, ever failed me.
The Sony though is a wonderful machine. Brilliant screen, expandable memory, unlike the iPad, in my opinion it looks as good, if not better than the iPad. It's very light and four some reason Sony have made it waterproof!!!
As I said, they all pretty much do the same things, but, I'm happier with the Sony than I was with the Samsung. I would reconsider an iPad, but you can get more machine for less money if you shop elsewhere.
A lot will come down to budget, but as others have said, if swmbo has hinted at an iPad it's probably in your best interests to take the hint. They are excellent pieces of kit, (though don't discount the Sony). I've also heard that the nexus tablets are very well respected and supported, you can get these in both 7 and 10 inch screens.
Since I've got used to a tablet I never use a pc or laptop at home, they're wonderful devices.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having used a few tablets, the iPad is certainly the easiest to use and most apps launch on apple and sometimes do not reach android. That said, there is the cost element. For an up to date ipad you are looking at nearer £400 for a decent spec. People have mentioned an ipad 2 but with apple having cut support for the first iPad I would be nervous about them doing the same with the iPad 2. I could not justify the cost of an ipad and bought a Google nexus. I have the older model and have been very happy with it. The updated version looks even better and Skype would allow to chat with any other tablet user

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But - you wouldn't be too disappointed with the new Kindle Fire HDX ( better for books ) and the Tesco Tablet is very good for its price.

I would stay away from Nexus or Samsung - functionality of both are poor IMO.

Functionality of the Nexus is excellent, love to know why you think its poor (apart from it not being an Apple product)

D

Deleted member 15344

Functionality of the Nexus is excellent, love to know why you think its poor (apart from it not being an Apple product)

Just think it's slow and not very fluid. Always seems a little delay when you ask it to do something from my experience

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just think it's slow and not very fluid. Always seems a little delay when you ask it to do something from my experience

Then you got a faulty one lol. Have the new Nexus 7 and its faster than several Ipads Ive used, if you can see past it not being Apple branded then its an excellent bit of kit and far better value than Apples equivalent

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The one issue that I have is if you subscribe to any streaming TV or film apps. Love film and Now TV do not work on the Nexus, Netflix I believe does not work on the kindle but am not sure about Now TV. All work on an iPad.

I also found a great app called double twist. Cost about a fiver but allows android phones and tablets to sync wirelessly with iTunes on a Mac.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The one issue that I have is if you subscribe to any streaming TV or film apps. Love film and Now TV do not work on the Nexus, Netflix I believe does not work on the kindle but am not sure about Now TV. All work on an iPad.

I also found a great app called double twist. Cost about a fiver but allows android phones and tablets to sync wirelessly with iTunes on a Mac.

Netflix works on the Nexus, as do catchup tv, skygo etc

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Netflix works on the Nexus, as do catchup tv, skygo etc

It does but lovefilm does not as it is owned by amazon who make the kindle. Now TV does not either but works on my Sony android phone. They all work on my wife's iPad mini

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nexus is a great tablet, and does everything you'd want for less than the cost of the iPad

Warbur

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loads of great info.Thanks.Decided i'm going to go with an ipad.Now to find the best price;)

The Apple Refurbished Store is worth a look: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Items are all tested and warranted by Apple. I got my iPad from there a while ago and always check the site to see if they've got what I want before going to the main store - I'm a bit of an Apple Geek Boy :D

hoop67

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorted.Buying it fron John Lewis. ipad2 16gb white £319 mate works there and gets 12% discount so £280.Happy with that (hope she will be too).Thanks again for all the advice :thup: