New SkyCaddie - legal?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to risk answering without referencing...

My understanding of the principles is that as long as it's using programmed data it's fine. What it cannot do is use any data gathered during that stipulated round ie data based on current course conditions.

Obviously it also mayn't combine that programmed data with any other factors (slopes, elevation, etc) whether dynamic or programmed.

In this it's actually at a slight disadvantage to paper and a pencil 🤔

Edit- had time to check;14-3/16 covers it and I'm happy that what I have posted reflects that

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would imagine that club selection is a function that could be switched off if needed. The SkyCaddie Touch has the same facility.

D

Deleted member 16999

Game Golf has introduced a Caddie function based on your data and is illegal in competition.
If this is based on an individuals stats I’d say it’s likely to be illegal for comps also.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had it in the back of my mind that a club selection feature was not allowed and I have found this in the DMD Q&A section of the R&A:

Q. What kind of distance-measuring devices are allowed by Local Rule?A. A GPS, laser, smart phone, any really – provided the device meets certain guidelines and recommendations. The important thing to remember is that the device must only be used to access permitted information. The player would be in breach of the Rules if the device is used to access prohibited information, such as elevation changes and club recommendation features.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had it in the back of my mind that a club selection feature was not allowed and I have found this in the DMD Q&A section of the R&A:

[FONT=&]Q. What kind of distance-measuring devices are allowed by Local Rule?[/FONT][FONT=&]A. A GPS, laser, smart phone, any really – provided the device meets certain guidelines and recommendations. The important thing to remember is that the device must only be used to access permitted information. The player would be in breach of the Rules if the device is used to access prohibited information, such as elevation changes and club recommendation features.[/FONT]

Which would of course depend on the basis on which 4i (for example) appears on the screen.

As an example my very basic early skycaddie was programmed by me to show the distance to a 90yds lay-up. It shows 90yds lay up on the screen. If could reprogrammed it to show GW lay up on the screen instead does that constitute a club recommendation? Of course it doesn't.

The rule I referenced above is more comprehensive than the Q and A you have posted, but says the same thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume it's only showing you data that you have punched in in the first place. e.g. the picture is showing '230-3H' with a line showing that distance, I would imagine that the user has simply entered that his 3 hybrid distance is 230 yards, hence it shows that on the screen. I wouldn't imagine that breaks any rules. As Kellfire said above, it's not much different to writing '230' on tape and sticking that to your hybrid.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
It is showing data that you enter on your skygolf 360 profile. I would imagine its like the Touch and everytime time you start a round the Touch puts up a message Non conforming do you want to turn off. If you select no then at the top in Red it shows NC throughout the round.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't help wondering what the point of such a function would be. My memory ain't what it used to be, but it still manages to hold on to the distances for each of my clubs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't help wondering what the point of such a function would be. My memory ain't what it used to be, but it still manages to hold on to the distances for each of my clubs.
My memory is fantastic - unfortunately this doesn't help much as I'm still remembering the distances I used to hit each club many years ago....