new putting grip....... illegal or not?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been experimenting with different putting grips this last while and come up with this one. we are having a debate on whatsapp this evening to see if this is illegal or not?

Took it to the course today and worked a treat.

Thoughts?putting grip.jpg

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Can't answer but was trying similar on the mat over winter. Haven't used in anger but sometimes on a practice stroke.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can’t see anything illegal with that grip, did you not have to have to some pressure on your left hand to keep the butt slipping?

I’ll give it a try on the matt later.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can’t see anything illegal with that grip, did you not have to have to some pressure on your left hand to keep the butt slipping?

I’ll give it a try on the matt later.

Yeah, that is a very fat grip and the heel pad of the left hand pushes down on the butt a bit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a video of Thomas Bjorn using something that looked similar to this. As long as the club is only touching your hands, arms or wrists then it won't be illegal - only if touches your body (thus anchoring).

I don't see how it would be any good though. :LOL:

Here you go, have a look at his grip 24 seconds into the video:

Now that I see it again it's actually the reverse of yours since his left hand is gripping the club not the right. But similar sort of idea.

D

Deleted member 1147

I suppose the question is: is your left hand anchoring the top of the grip? and, can a moving part of the swing (the hand) be classed as an anchor?

I would say there is anchoring, but could understand it if it were deemed to be the other way around.

D

Deleted member 21258

That's a different looking grip. Sorry don't know the answer to your question.

Is the grip stable enough on longs putts(say 30 foot plus), think I would be worried that the top of the grip would slip away from the hand on longer putts?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose the question is: is your left hand anchoring the top of the grip? and, can a moving part of the swing (the hand) be classed as an anchor?

I would say there is anchoring, but could understand it if it were deemed to be the other way around.
No. I thought anchoring specifically refers to the butt of the club being against your torso. i.e. a third point of contact.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's a video of Thomas Bjorn using something that looked similar to this. As long as the club is only touching your hands, arms or wrists then it won't be illegal - only if touches your body (thus anchoring).

I don't see how it would be any good though. :LOL:

Here you go, have a look at his grip 24 seconds into the video:

Now that I see it again it's actually the reverse of yours since his left hand is gripping the club not the right. But similar sort of idea.

My version works as it completely takes the left hand out of play. It's only role is to keep the club balanced. Feel as if I am putting with one hand. A fav drill of tiger woods. Rock the shoulders and away it goes. Face Feels super stable.

Was doing some digging and bjorn's method seems to be called the gator grip. My one is a kind of reverse one of these. Same principle.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My version works as it completely takes the left hand out of play. It's only role is to keep the club balanced. Feel as if I am putting with one hand. A fav drill of tiger woods. Rock the shoulders and away it goes. Face Feels super stable.

Was doing some digging and bjorn's method seems to be called the gator grip. My one is a kind of reverse one of these. Same principle.
So it's the ROTAG grip :):)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm fairly certain the OP is not breaking rules.

Anchoring does not mean anchoring against the hands or arms. There are plenty of golfers who do this with their club extended up their forearm and the Thomas Bjorn example which looks very similar to the OP.