New Grip time, all or some?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The grips on my irons have become pretty smooth and so the time has come to get them re-done. I know plenty on here like to do their own but let's forget that, I will be taking them in somewhere. I only use 7, 8, 9 and PW from the set, 5 & 6 sit in the garage.

I am not looking to change irons any time soon but like all of us that thought could change tomorrow. Logic says just change the 4 I use but does it make sense to change all 6 to keep the set the same? What if the grips I choose stop being made meaning I need to change all 6 again should I want to upgrade? Does that ever happen in reality?

Those in a similar situation previously, what did you do?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're changing the grips for some radically different one, like compound align grips or something, then it might be worth getting them all done to match. If you're just getting a similar one to what they were before then I wouldn't bother. I mean, if you're selling them on down the line I don't think people will mind if four of them are standard Golf Pride grips and two of them are standard original Ping grips.

Furthermore though, how much money is two fewer grips even going to save you? 15 quid or so?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally I would do ALL my clubs so that the feel is consistent right through the bag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless you are currently thinking of replacing, I'd only get the 4 you are using replaced. By the time you do decide to replace the set, the current 4 are likely to need replacement anyway.

That said, if the cost is minimal then doing all keeps the set 'the same' just in case you do put 1 or both back into the bag.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever you do/ have done the unused grips will age harden.

Why go to the cost of changing something you are never going to use.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The grips on my irons have become pretty smooth and so the time has come to get them re-done. I know plenty on here like to do their own but let's forget that, I will be taking them in somewhere. I only use 7, 8, 9 and PW from the set, 5 & 6 sit in the garage.

I am not looking to change irons any time soon but like all of us that thought could change tomorrow. Logic says just change the 4 I use but does it make sense to change all 6 to keep the set the same? What if the grips I choose stop being made meaning I need to change all 6 again should I want to upgrade? Does that ever happen in reality?

Those in a similar situation previously, what did you do?
Got the electric sander on them - quick once over with 80grit and they come up like new....well my multi compounds have.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When I replaced recently, I purchased enough grips for all clubs, but I only replaced the irons. As the wedges and woods are new this season see no point changing new grips for new grips. Now have a few spare to use as and when required.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get all done at once. Unless Ive just bought a club and am replacing the grip to match

But I use basic golf pride tour velvet and my mate does the set for £15-20 or something so works out £60 or so for the lot

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Funnily enough the comments are about a 50-50 split o_O. That helps :LOL:

I will be taking them in next week so i will have a think and take on board the comments mentioned (y)

sunshine

Visit site
50-50 split so go half way and regrip one of the clubs. Why don't you start a poll?

Should I buy an extra grip tonight or get a kebab? They're about the same cost. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
depends on what grips you get why not get the same again and just replace the worn, if the others have not been used why replace those.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The kebab shop :D

Trying to work out whether the blimey expression of surprise is for the cost of a kebab or the cost of a grip :unsure:
Ha ha, the kebab. To be fair it's so long since I bought a kebab I'm afraid to work out what era I'm thinking of. I reckon each grip will cost £8-£10. Is that what a kebab costs now?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd get them all done. Will help if and when you move them on. Also if you decide to look at working on hitting longer irons they are ready to go. Also I like my grips to be the same and so feel the same.