new golfer help please

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi all. i've only been playing golf for 3 months. my game on the driving range couldn't be better. around 8/10 shots land on the money. how ever, as soon as i get on a course i can't hit a ball for toffie. i can't even get good contact. am i on my own here? any advice would be great!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 months? Hah, the first 10 years are the worst. And the next 10 are not much better.

It takes time to translate a game to the course. Many never manage it. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to score well too soon. Hit it, find it, hit again until you get it in the hole. It'll work itself out.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The difference between driving range and course is mainly that you have a definite target at a definite distance on the course. At the range you can just whack the hell out of the ball and not worry too much about where it ends up. The pressure of having to hit a target increases the chances of tightening up and swinging erratically. I would advise when at the range trying to hit a target with every shot and trying to get comfortable doing so, be honest with yourself if you miss by 20yrds then try again. Soon you will be better equipped to play to a green or fairway. Nerves are always something you will have to contend with though until you become more comfortable on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like you are trying too hard on the course. The problem with a range is that there is no penalty for a bad shot ou just tee another one up. It might be that you are simply being unrealistic with what you can do on the course epsecially if you get into trouble.

If you are hitting it that well try a playing lesson with the pro so he can teach you about course management

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
There are loads of driving range scratch golfers who just can't cut it on the course.

When I first started, like many, I teed it up down the driving range. I went between 2 to 3 times a week, hitting around 100 balls every session. A couple of swing lessons later and I was hitting the ball quite well with the 6 iron. The 100 yard marker was no trouble. A nice steady swing saw the ball land around the marker 8 times out of 10. I felt I was making great progress. "It's a doddle is this golfing lark" I thought.

Eventually I took my 1st tentative steps on a real course (local short 9 holer)
Boy did my game come down to earth with a bump!
I was hitting it thin, fat and all over the place. My trusty, cannot fail 6 iron became an instrument of fear. I just couldn't strike the ball like I did on the range.

Consider this. How many times on the range do you have the ball above/below your feet? In a divot? In the trees/bushes?
I found the club does not bounce through the ball like a fat range shot. No siree, on the course you get an ugly fat shot, carve up a deep floppy divot and watch the ball slither off 75 yards!!!

Practice is what you need mate. Practice all you can on grass.
Ranges are great for swing practice, but grass is the best by far. Get on a practice area and practice, practice, practice. Get a few lessons and you'll soon be swinging it better.