New drivers cant help me!?!

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I just went to try out a new driver presuming that new technology must be able to improve my game as my 11s is around 7 years old now. So after trying the M3, M4, G400 Max and Rogue in various shafts and weights they were unable to improve my carry or total distance. The only rational for purchase was the fact that my dispersion was minimally improved. To be honest I am really surprised with my results, has anyone else experienced the same?

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Strange one! It begs the question, how far are you knocking it? Off of 5 I'd suspect you get it out a fair distance? I reckon a lower handicapper would see marginal gains (dispersion) vs a higher handicapper as your ball striking is generally so much better.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the guys at my club is using a taylormade aeroburner with a reg shaft, hits it miles, and has made it recently onto the alps tour, had a track man fitting day at the club and they couldn’t better it, just how it goes sometimes I guess.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The skytrak system that they use in the shop was showing as a steady 221 carry. My last Trackman lesson with my pro was at 240 carry. (Unfortunately they don’t stock the full range of drivers where I have my lessons, which is why I shopped around).
I bought the 11s off eBay with no custom fitting or change to the setup at all so I was expecting to see some distance improvements.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the same. Went in looking for gains but same accuracy as my current G30.
Turns out nothing can beat it. Rogue was longer but off planet right or left.
Saved myself £400. Nice!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my friend off +3 still uses his r11s. he was last fitted for a titleist 917 but it wasn't an improvement.

the r11s is still a modern driver.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the same. Went in looking for gains but same accuracy as my current G30.
Turns out nothing can beat it. Rogue was longer but off planet right or left.
Saved myself £400. Nice!

have you tried the g400? all the ping g users i know instantly fell in love with it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought an M1 last year and to be honest I have not seen any real gains compared to my R9.

I am persevering with but I have now tried 5 different shafts. Most recent being putting in the same shaft as on my R9.

I am thinking that maybe it just the wrong time of year to be trying out clubs.

However the change of TM580 to the M1 3 wood. I did see an significant improvement but only after fitting a shaft which I new suited my game.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I came back playing in September I bought an r11s, I really struggled with two misses, had no idea what side I was going to miss til it came off the face, at least now with my Titleist I only have a one way miss, some clubs are just not for some folk.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, despite what manufacturers want us to believe, 7 years isn't that old and there hasn't been that much of a change in technology. Take a look at that distance study that just came out (and that everybody seems to be talking about but nobody really reads). The average driving distance for male amateurs improved a meager 8 yards in the past 21 years. That includes all advancements made to golfballs and golfclubs. So really, what do you expect? Yes, if your old driver had been for some reason not right for you (in which case you probably would not have stuck with it for seven years in the first place), then custom fitting might have given you a bit of an advantage. But looks like you just struck lucky with a random buy. Keep it, cherish it, spend your money on something useful instead.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers, I think this is the first time I’ve been unhappy about saving £400. I guess this proves how much marketing hype affects us golfers.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
new tech has improved ball speed & forgiveness marginally over time

but the lack of overall improvement during the test will be down to how the OP was swinging that particular day
as it all depends on club head delivery to launch conditions plus importantly where on the face impact was

if you'd taken note of the LM data (AoA - LA - path to face - spin loft/rpm - strike location - ball speed - etc) that would tell you what the overall issues were during the test

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My launch angle was only 11degress so they worked hard to find a head/shaft to increase that but nothing seemed to work with any consistency. It actually made my dispersion wider. The two fitters said that I am shut at the top and don’t rotate the hands enough at impact so I am always delofting the face at impact. They recommended I work on that and then have another fitting.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
have you tried the g400? all the ping g users i know instantly fell in love with it
G400/LST & Max. 5 yrds longer but otherwise that same.

Good numbers with my G30, 2400spin, 110 Clubhead. Pretty neutral through the ball, AA pretty neutral, LA @ 11* (same as driver head) Carry was 250-260.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My launch angle was only 11degress so they worked hard to find a head/shaft to increase that but nothing seemed to work with any consistency. It actually made my dispersion wider. The two fitters said that I am shut at the top and don’t rotate the hands enough at impact so I am always delofting the face at impact. They recommended I work on that and then have another fitting.

Sounds like a good session and good advice.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeh, I can’t fault the service, they couldn’t have been more patient and helpful. They were astounded that they couldn’t improve my launch angle with any degree of consistency.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
do you recall what the AoA & rpm #'s were ? & were the majority of strikes heel side of center ?
what was the static loft of the drivers you tried ?

don't really want the "hands" rotating as such at/thru impact

ways to best improvement bang for $ would be lessons to improve (maybes the grip hold needs looking at & almost certainly the address set-up probably needs a tweak) the launch conditions the AoA & strike locations

a ways to help that in any practice done would be buying a can of foot spray/dry shampoo to spray the driver face to see the strike location patterns

plus using an empty golf ball sleeve or hybrid cover or rolled bag towel & place 'whichever' a driver clubhead length target side of the tee ball - plus making sure the ball is teed to have half a ball visible over the top of the driver (when soled)

so if you do have practice sessions at all & if hitting down with the driver is an issue would check ball position at set-up plus at set-up center chest(sternum) & the center head(nose) is goin to be around 6 or so inches behind the ball with the trail shoulder a tad lower than the lead - want to be sure set-up at address that it is not being taken with a move to have the head & chest center move closer up to the back of the ball

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't take any notice of them unless you want to adversely affect your dispersion. If you've the kind of swing that has a stable clubface & you are hitting it straight you don't need the rotation.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Very surprised they couldn't find a shaft to improve this, I launch very high & can only use the likes of the Black Tie. Have you tried the Matrix Red or White Tie or an Oban Devotion 4. All these get a very good name.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least the fitter was honest enough to say he couldn't improve your numbers and didn't try to hard sell you something. Off your handicap, if what you have works, then keep doing what your doing. Out of interest, where did you go.I would have thought there would have been something they could have done to get the launch angle distance and dispersion up irrespective of any swing flaws. How many shafts did they have in stock?