New Driver

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am thinking of treating myself to a new driver.
Custom fit

I know that the launch monitors are "the" method to go but if you purchase from a AG or Dg then generally you are hitting the ball into a net inside and relying on data that they produce.
How can you/they tell if you have hit it straight, eg without fade or draw form 4 foot of travel into the net.

I know (think) that MOI indicates the amount of "twist" on the club head if hit off centre.
I think that COR is the springboard effect from the club face.
Backspin (needed) to get the ball airborne.

If you hit the ball fairly consistently from around the centre of the club, how important is MOI?

Is COR more important than MOI?

Also what is the optimum backspin to look for to get good carry without the ball stopping/not running on landing.
How much backspin is TOO much?

How relative is ball speed to club head speed?

I have nothing in mind (preference), i want the most suitable club for me.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need about 3000-3500 rpm to keep the ball airboune without slowing it down and making it fall out of the sky.

Your ball speed should be 50% more than your club head speed. Mine was 90 mph clubhead speed so ball speed was roughly 135mph

I personally would not use a vector in a bay net as there is no substitute to watching your true ball flight!

You know when you have the right club because of the shape of your shot. When I was being fitted for my FT-5, the difference between it and the callaway X was the fact that when my ball was slowing down, it was still climbing because of the backspin and not dropping like a brick, the roll was alot further!

Glenfish

Club Champion
Visit site
The big stores near me allow you to take the club away to a range to try it, you just leave a credit card as security.
Also my pro shop allows you to try the clubs on the course, he tapes them up to prevent damage but it must be the BEST trial method.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i never had a great fitting at american golf i couldnt put trust in a computer program alone, went my local pro shop instead limited brands but got a good fitting.would love to get fit at the belfry when i went watching the brittish masters its looks top notch

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some AG's have driving ranges attached and you can see the balls fly. I would also advise anyone looking for a new driver to go in with an open mind. You may find that the best club for you is a lesser known brand name or a softer shaft than your ego would like you to have.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i went for my fitting with a ping g5 9 degree with a aldila nv stiff shaft was thinking ill be going softer as my bad shot is high right the with my clubhead speed the shaft was twisting the face open and i ended up stiffer and with a brand i would never of usually picked up

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was prepared to buy whatever they said suited me best, even if it was the slazenger K1speed.

But as it happens, i tried everythin, and nothin creamed the ball like the FT-5, Just played around with a few different shafts and when the correct shaft was in, the results where a good 50 yards longer!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same here, tried a loads of drivers before making a decision. Made a bit of a mistake with the Nike Sumo as really could not get any degree of consistancy with it. Ended up with a Benross VeloCT and it is awesome. Main difference for me was that is had a sensible 44 inch shaft making it far easier to control than the Nike.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tony N There is a DG at Huddersfield with range and vector.

Pro shop not much choice Ping only

Andyritchie I got my irons at Belfry but it is a long way to go for one club.

Madandra I have a complete open mind. I went to belfry last year for irons. I said to my mate that I wouldn't be getting any Calloway as I believed that I would be paying over the odds because of their tour players. I came away with.... you guessed it Calloway X20. They were by far the best club for me.

If i'm paying top dollar for a single club I want to ,make sure it is right. I'd have a ladies shaft if that was the right one for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tried the Taylormade. Only tried the standard version and not the tour spec but it felt very light and the feeling was of wanting to swing faster to really cream it. To be fair I couldn't get on with it consistantly but when I did hit it, it stayed hit and was definitely longer than my current driver. However consistency was an issue (and HID standing next to me in the shop threatening to do unspeakable things to all my golf stuff involving a driveway and a car - something about driving backwards and forwards until I couldn't sell them for scrap - don't think she was happy at the price!)

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
no i guess she wern't i saw a full on argument in nevada bobs yesterday, she couldnt understand why he wanted expensive clubs what wont make him better,i felt for the poor guy