New Driver required - lower end budget

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have decided to purchase two new clubs at the end of this month . One is an Odyssey two-ball putter which i have tried numerous times in AG ( I think the chap there is getting sick of me walking in , holing a few putts with the 33" handled club and then just walking out again :) ) and so that is decided on.
The second one is a little more difficult . I'm looking at a new driver as the Wilson one i'm using at the moment is the driver that came with the set i purchased last year and so i've decided to 'upgrade' .
I have it down to 3 possibles . Now , i am limited in budget but the 3 i have researched all have very good reviews from a lot of publications.
Now , i know some of you will say i should go and swing a few on the range/course but i have no real facilties like that close by...well , none that i know of...so i'd like any opinions you knowledgable chaps have of the following models. All are available for under £100 i believe.

1) Ben Sayers Benny
2) Benross VeloCT
3) MD Superstrong Ti EQL 460

As i say , i'm open to opinions , good and bad

Paul :cool:

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
""but i have no real facilties like that close by...well , none that i know of...""

Direct Golf shop in Chadwell Heath, near the Moby Dick Pub, they have 37 bay range attached, try any club you want, get advice from the 8 PGA Pro`s that work in the shop. They might not have the models your looking for, but they have a BIG selection, you might find something nice you like.

If you need any more info Nomad, gimme a shout, i`m a regular there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hey Paul.

In all honesty, I don't think you'l find a whole lot between the 3. The thing to look for is the best shaft of the 3 and make sure its the right flex and gives you the right trajectory. I know MD clubs come with good shafts and I suspect the others do too. You certainly wont go far wrong with any of them.

if you can't find the actual clubs to try, then maybe finding out which shafts are in which driver, then going to AG or somewhere, finding another make of driver with that shaft in and trying that may give you a feel for one or the other. Not the best way but it might help you narrow it down.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use the Benross VeloCT and am very happy with it. Seem to be getting good distance and forgiveness. The Grafaloy Prolaunch Platinum shaft in regular suits my swing but may not suit if you are at the higher end of the swing speeds for a regular shaft.

Personally I cannot fault it (plus you get a free Pure Red putter with every one purchased, though not much use I suppose if you are buying a 2 ball. That said, would recommend giving it a try as I bought one when they were not free as I loved it)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to add, if you have to buy without trying, it may be worth using onlinegolf. They have 30 day guarantee whereby they will give a 90% refund (to cover the cost of sale second hand) on any club returned within 30 days of purchase.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm...don't know...all very impressive.

Alternatively......the Cobra M speed on the for sale/wanted board would be perfect unless you are a fast swing player.

I subscribe to which magazine? (I know, a bit of an anorak) and they tested (including with a robot) all the top end kit last year. The M speed was the most accurate driver above the Callaway FT-3 and Ping G5. I have both the Callaway and Ping and hit both nicely.....but would have picked up an M speed had one ever been available.....they were like gold dust for a while.

I'm going to sell my FT-3 at some point (10* draw) if you should ever try one and like it.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of curiosity what is your budget & how would you describe your swing, not only in swing speed but how well you get the ball away & how straight ?

Its worth popping down to your local Golf shop emporium or pro shop & seeing what premium drivers are being phased out & therefore on special offer. For instance I got my Wilson Staff Dd6+ for £99, basically I was in the right place at the right time... dropped on, as the local phrase goes in the area I'm currently living goes.

T

thecraw

Cant go wrong with any of these clubs you have mentioned. Also look at some of the masters golf clubs or have you considered a 2nd hand Callaway or Ping G2?

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My swing , as a whole , is slowly evolving into something reasonable . I am moving from an out-to-in swing into a more in-to-in plane. I have semi-cured a slice into a more reasonable straightish drive but it can be tempremental ( with the odd pushed right drive and an even more rare massive 50yd snap-hook !!! ) but as for swing speed , i have no idea. I suppose i could ask next time i play with an experienced golfer. I would say average maybe.
Not sure if it would have a bearing on a driver choice but i'm 5' 8" but quite a big stocky bloke.
This will be the first 'individual' club that i've bought and it seems fraught with danger :)
Still , with all the tips here , i'm sure i'll make the right decision...eventually .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that if you don't mind the driver being all new and shiny then going to somewhere like AG may throw up a bargain or two. Without knowing your budget it is hard to make suggestions but I reckon that there must be some Ping G5's knocking around now the G10 has been out a while. I know my local AG is doing NEW Callaway Big Bertha 460 for around the £120-130 mark which I can't imagine being vastly over budget.

If you go to AG at least you can have a go on the launch monitor which will give you a rough idea how well you are hitting x brand even if you can't actually see the shot. Make use of the bigger retailers for testing and then perhaps use the Direct Golf as mentioned and see if the price is right

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Nomadpaul,
not sure where you are but the discount golf store in Rayleigh is quite well stocked and they also have a driving range so you can try before you buy .I can't recommend them simply because i havn't brought anything from them , but being able to try gear there and then could be useful even if you buy elsewhere

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nomadpaul,
not sure where you are but the discount golf store in Rayleigh is quite well stocked and they also have a driving range so you can try before you buy .I can't recommend them simply because i havn't brought anything from them , but being able to try gear there and then could be useful even if you buy elsewhere
Of course ! The one by the Carpenters pub isn't it ??? Rayleigh is part of my patch so that may be a good choice to pop in. Forgot that one.

oh , and budget is approx £100 give or take a few quid

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
nomad.....

I've just fallen over myself spotting your "in the bag".

Wilson 1200GE :cool:

That wouldn't be the old "Gear effect" from the 1990s, would it?

Blimey.....those could be even older than my 845 Silver Scott Tommy Armour. :cool:

Get yourself a good driver (Benny would get my nod, thinking about it) then check out some new irons.....I swapped from 1993 technology to 2006.....it's made the biggest difference, I can't tell you! :)

Sorry for butting in......I used to love those 1200s.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
For that money, I'd try the Callaway Big Bertha and see if you can get the additional £30 knocked off with a trade in of your current model

Good thinking Homer.....the 460 Bertha is currently £129....even a tenner thrown in for the old club makes it only a wee bit more than a benny or veloCT.
The 460 is a sweet club......another one I missed out on because at the time it was £189 and the FT-3 was only £129
:cool:

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
I remember seeing in an American Golf ad in Golf Monthly a couple of months back they were offering 50 quid minimum trade in agaist the Taylor Made Burner which was 169.99 (so 120 to you, sir)

Maybe see if there is an offer like that on the go still, or something similar on any other drivers

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I tried the Benny and found it very good for the price, I do think though getting it online cheaper an option, it is very light and to some might seem off putting but it seemed to work for me.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
nomad.....

I've just fallen over myself spotting your "in the bag".

Wilson 1200GE :cool:

That wouldn't be the old "Gear effect" from the 1990s, would it?

No mate , just a modern day equivalent. I'll admit to once seriously thinking about getting a set of the original 1200GE's as i had fond memories of them too.
The ones i bought , as a set , off E-bay , are nothing like the originals but it was a romantic notion of a long lost memory that made me buy them.

Anyways , the idea's that you guy's have given me have all been of tremendous help. Now i've just got to make the decision :D