New driver... and the winner is.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the advise on a previous thread about buying a new driver. I went into AG today fully intent on picking up a wilson spine and hitting the range...

I heard a little forum voice in my head telling me to be sensible so instead I asked the guy if I could try a whole bunch of drivers suited to my handicap and common flight. We ended up coming to the point that I needed a draw club with reg flex, I tried out offerings from Taylor Made, the wilson spine, cobra, and mizuno.

I promised myself to be nonbiased on looks and brand and purely buy the one that worked out best (baring in mind I hadn't looked at any of the prices before hitting the range I thought this was quite brave!)

Long story short... I ended up with a Taylor Made R5 XL draw. I think this is a slightly older model, but it had 60% off £199 (yeah right!) down to £78. So I have a driver that works bloody well with my swing, and enough money left over to upgrade my TV to Sky+ and make for a happy wife too! Bonus - Thanks to the those from the previous thread who helped constitute my conscience!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done. The R5 is a coupleof seasons old but a very solida nd well performing club so I think you've got a good deal. Even better for scoring brownie pints with the good lady. You can cash them in later in the year to come to one of the GM Forum meets

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shame you didnt get on with the Spine, I think its an ace club but good luck with the new R5, when you taking it out for a play?

£78 sounds like a good deal.

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
Took it out today and never missed a fairway, I love it! And at £78 I can still almost justify upgrading it again this time next year, whereas a £100+ purchase would spend considerably longer in the bag!

To be fair on the spine when I hit the sweetspot nothing could touch it, and what a satisfying sound it makes! I just found that the off centre hits really punished me.

Visit site
Well done mate. Doesn't matter if its a broomstick or two years old, as long as you are hitting the fairways thats the main thing. Just had a look on line and its a nice looking club.

I bought a Nike Sasquatch 3 wood about 6 months ago for £80 and still dont hit it as well as my old Ram 3 wood which is probably worth 10 bob! I'm sure there's loads of guys on here with this type of story too.

More importantly you'll love Sky+ its the best thing since golf balls were invented!

All the best.