New Driver - 22 handicapper

Marty719

Visit site
Hi. New to the forum, but excited to find somewhere to discuss golf. Im a high handicapper, relatively new to the game, but excited to improve and bring hc down. Just upgraded irons to Sim Max from ping g10s and noticed an immediate difference. Now contemplating changing driver from ping g sf tec to cobra king f9 speedback. A quick google search showed current price was similar,but tech on cobra does seem superior. Just checking this would actually be an upgrade for me before I buy? If not, is there anything else that would be recommended? Currently average 95mph club head speed and 238 carry. Look forward to hearing thoughts,and seeing what else is on the forum!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say just play the rest of this year with what you have.
This will give you time to go and try as many as you can to get a feel of different drivers.
With a rapid improvement possible you might outgrow your new driver .
Don’t be to quick to spend your money after the lockdown there might be some real bargains as OEMs try to get rid of stock.
If your going to be a serious golfer have a fitting to make sure the head shaft combo fit your swing .
Don’t go in saying I want xxxxx driver keep an open mind and get what you hit best.

Marty719

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Relatively new is 2 years and the average is off 50 shots on g80, so not sure how accurate they are. Distance always been better than accuracy for me though. Tough ATM where I have a nice net setup and heaps of practice time, so feel like I want to get new clubs and get used to them while I can. Understand fitting likely a better option, but feels a long way off!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Relatively new is 2 years and the average is off 50 shots on g80, so not sure how accurate they are. Distance always been better than accuracy for me though. Tough ATM where I have a nice net setup and heaps of practice time, so feel like I want to get new clubs and get used to them while I can. Understand fitting likely a better option, but feels a long way off!!
Yes but my thoughts have always been .
If you practice with stuff that dosnt suit you , you can ingrain things to compensate to hit the ball.
This can be difficult to eradicate in the future.
But if you have clubs ,especially driver that suits your practice will improve.
It’s not an exact science but why make things harder for yourself .
It’s one of many opinions ,
A second hand driver that suits is better than a new one that dosnt.
Whatever way you go good luck ,and just enjoy it.

Marty719

Visit site
Yes but my thoughts have always been .
If you practice with stuff that dosnt suit you , you can ingrain things to compensate to hit the ball.
This can be difficult to eradicate in the future.
But if you have clubs ,especially driver that suits your practice will improve.
It’s not an exact science but why make things harder for yourself .
It’s one of many opinions ,
A second hand driver that suits is better than a new one that dosnt.
Whatever way you go good luck ,and just enjoy it.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say an "average carry " of 238 is pointless if you can't hit it constantly straight.
I don't average that, but still I traded length for accuracy having realised that it doesn't matter how far you hit the ball if you are not on the fairway.

Marty719

Visit site
Yea totally agree. I'd say I'm on the fairway less than a third of the time. Would happily sacrafice 50 yards to get more consistent accuracy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It sounds to me that you have natural length, nice thing to have.
But if your in the trees more than on the short stuff you will struggle to score and get your cap down.
I would always take 8 iron from the fairway than wedge from the trees.
You won’t lose 50yds more like 10yds.
But a fitted driver may give you more distance. If you hit the fairways with it consistently.

Marty719

Visit site
Again, absolutely makes sense. Think I'm settled on waiting for lockdown to end and then trying a few different. Love my irons so would be curious to try the last few TM models too. Lots of trees in my home course and far too familiar with chopping 2nd shots out of them :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, absolutely makes sense. Think I'm settled on waiting for lockdown to end and then trying a few different. Love my irons so would be curious to try the last few TM models too. Lots of trees in my home course and far too familiar with chopping 2nd shots out of them :)
We all learn the game by making mistakes I was similar when I first started.
Just don’t keep making the same ones.
Next time you play if you have time and course empty of course.
Drop a ball in the middle of each fairway about your natural distance and just see how much better you score.
You can’t play good golf from the trees, even the pros can’t .