New Club - Wrag Barn !!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Pulled the trigger today and joined Wrag Barn in Highworth. Been a member at another local club for the last 12 months or so but never really able to integrate and the course was certainly inferior to Wrag Barn.

Have played enough over the last year though to convince me the investment in membership, albeit somewhat higher than what I was paying, was justified. The course (though only played it once), overall facilities (lovely clubhouse, range, good practice area) and as it is closer to my house, convinced me it was the right move.

Also been having lessons there for some time. Looking forward to getting out regularly now!

If there are any other members on here, or anyone fancies visiting get in touch.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Steve,
Will message you to sort out a game soon.
Not sure of any other members on the forum but would be good to sort a meet up if there are any.

Cheers
Stu

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am just down the road near Chippenham and have played Wrag quite a few times with a local Society and in the Service league - it is the 'home' club for one of the station teams. Really enjoy the course, and the food afterwards is always top notch. Interestingly they have (had?) a Japanese lager on draught in the club house which always went down well.
would be interested in joining up for a round

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I am just down the road near Chippenham and have played Wrag quite a few times with a local Society and in the Service league - it is the 'home' club for one of the station teams. Really enjoy the course, and the food afterwards is always top notch. Interestingly they have (had?) a Japanese lager on draught in the club house which always went down well.
would be interested in joining up for a round

Cool, send me a PM in due course - would be good to get together. Stuey (another member there) has already expressed an interest. Maybe we can get a few more.
Not sure yet how easy it is to get tee times this time of year - know it is usually busy on a Saturday, but obviously haven't got a feel for things yet :)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a lot of members there so can certainly hook you up if needed.

Personally find the course a 💤💤 fest, but swindon is hardly a hot bed of courses, hence me driving over 30mins to get to my home club.

Also find it it strange that all medals are drawn (from what I've heard). Good way to meet new members and integrate, but sometimes I'd want to be able to play with my mates.

great practice facilities!!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Also find it it strange that all medals are drawn (from what I've heard). Good way to meet new members and integrate, but sometimes I'd want to be able to play with my mates.

Fair point, but as you for someone like me who doesn't know anyone yet its actually preferable.
Will mail you next week Sam about a lunchtime practice - work got in the way this last week!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I lived in the area for 20 years, played Wragg when it first opened, there was a portakabbin for changing rooms and all the trees were two feet high!

It's certainly grown in nicely, decent club scene too good mix of folk play there.

Good luck with your time there and have fun

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair point, but as you for someone like me who doesn't know anyone yet its actually preferable.
Will mail you next week Sam about a lunchtime practice - work got in the way this last week!
No worries mate. It didn't click when I was writing the message that it was you.

Speak soon mate

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope it all goes well for you, drawn comps sound ideal as a way to get to know people.

Only played Wrag Barn once, a few years ago now and in midwinter (temperature well below zero as I recall), but I enjoyed the day a lot. Not too far down the A420 from me in Abingdon so I'd be up for any sort of mini-meet as well once you've settled in.