New Club? Berks / Hants Border... Help!

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
Hi everyone. Long time lurker but thought it time I sign up...

Spent many an hour sat trawling through thread after thread :)

Currently a member at a lesser known club in Hampshire "Tylney Park". After two years there I am thinking of moving on. I live in Sandhurst Berks, there are a number of fantastic courses near me but many of them ££££££... I am wondering if anyone can give me a steer on a good club to have a better look at and visit? A bit of background I am 28, have played golf for about 12 years. I currently don't have a handicap (member of a fourball and we have never put any cards in... One of the reasons I want to start a fresh and become a more active member somewhere). The guys usually put me off 8-10 dependant on their generosity and I still take their money :p

Thanks everyone

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi everyone. Long time lurker but thought it time I sign up...

Spent many an hour sat trawling through thread after thread :)

Currently a member at a lesser known club in Hampshire "Tylney Park". After two years there I am thinking of moving on. I live in Sandhurst Berks, there are a number of fantastic courses near me but many of them ££££££... I am wondering if anyone can give me a steer on a good club to have a better look at and visit? A bit of background I am 28, have played golf for about 12 years. I currently don't have a handicap (member of a fourball and we have never put any cards in... One of the reasons I want to start a fresh and become a more active member somewhere). The guys usually put me off 8-10 dependant on their generosity and I still take their money :p

Thanks everyone

Welcome to have a wander around Royal Ascot at some point with me

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
As you say, lots of options in a fair radius of you there.

Do you have a budget in mind that you don't want to go over?

Im a member down at Stoneham (bottom of the m3), which maybe too far for you. There are quite a few active members on here in your area who I am sure will offer some insight into their courses.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
As you say, lots of options in a fair radius of you there.

Do you have a budget in mind that you don't want to go over?

Im a member down at Stoneham (bottom of the m3), which maybe too far for you. There are quite a few active members on here in your area who I am sure will offer some insight into their courses.

Hi Steve,
Not really a budget in mind. I have got away paying far too little for far too long I suspect ;) I actually worked at a crown golf course in my teens (Oak Park), then moved to Weybrook Park in Basingstoke and then onto Tylney Park. Both clubs very cheap offering discounted subs for younger members. Now I would like to settle into a club, the sort of club which makes me feel obliged to go there for a practice and a coffee rather than car park to 1st tee to car park ethos I seem to have kept up for the last few years.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
Hi Steve,
Not really a budget in mind. I have got away paying far too little for far too long I suspect ;) I actually worked at a crown golf course in my teens (Oak Park), then moved to Weybrook Park in Basingstoke and then onto Tylney Park. Both clubs very cheap offering discounted subs for younger members. Now I would like to settle into a club, the sort of club which makes me feel obliged to go there for a practice and a coffee rather than car park to 1st tee to car park ethos I seem to have kept up for the last few years.

I like North Hants golf course and by all accounts it's a very good club, that doesn't seem to be too far from Sandhurst.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
North Hants is definitely a viable option. Not to far and looks to be good value, certainly better to do it now as the entrance fee is substantially lower than it will be once I am 30. Would be interested to hear anyone's feedback on the course itself?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
North Hants is definitely a viable option. Not to far and looks to be good value, certainly better to do it now as the entrance fee is substantially lower than it will be once I am 30. Would be interested to hear anyone's feedback on the course itself?

It really didn't do anything for me when we all played it a few years ago, when I think about all the other courses in the area I've played at It's by far the poorest of the lot imo.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk

I have only played it once so can't comment too much on the golf course, although I do remember it being a good test, with a good mix of holes and in good condition. I have met a fair few members in open competitions, and definitely get the feeling that there is a good crowd of younger members there (under 40 which I class as young these days!)

Another club to consider would be East Berks, I don't think the course is as good as North Hants, but overall I get the feeling it's a good club and worth considering.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
I have only played it once so can't comment too much on the golf course, although I do remember it being a good test, with a good mix of holes and in good condition. I have met a fair few members in open competitions, and definitely get the feeling that there is a good crowd of younger members there (under 40 which I class as young these days!)

Another club to consider would be East Berks, I don't think the course is as good as North Hants, but overall I get the feeling it's a good club and worth considering.

I love the look of east Berks, highly regarded if I look at course ratings rather than personal opionions (granted are rated on the same thing to a certain extent). It's probably a little more than I would like to spend which saddens me deeply :)

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
No, I gladly drive the 2hrs to play it as often as I can, or invited 😉😜🏌️⛳

Haha good cast ;) I second that! For a home course it would be too far for me. I suppose me becoming more active as a member means it needs to be convenient to a point. It only takes me twenty minutes to get to current club but that 40 minute overall commute is like gold dust on a Sunday with a wife and two young children. It also means week nights when I would like to go to the range and work on my game is out of the question. Currently I am doing just that but going to a local municipal course to do it (downshire golf club in crowthorne). Maybe I want to much!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks very much for the reply. I actually enquired at Royal Ascot via email but am yet to get a response. Really kind offer, DM going to be winging its way to you :) sounds like a great plan!

PM me your name & email and I'll hassle the secretary and get a game arranged, probably once the frost has gone and it's a tad warmer (haven't got the first one yet??)

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi,
Thanks very much for the reply. I actually enquired at Royal Ascot via email but am yet to get a response. Really kind offer, DM going to be winging its way to you :) sounds like a great plan!

North Hants is a really good course , always been in good nick whenever I have played it , couple of blind tee shots but really enjoyed it there.

Not a fan of Royal Ascot - bit too bland and if the fees are right it's way over priced.

If you don't mind the drive then Blackmoor would be top of the list - course is always in great condition , very playable , the members are very welcoming - well just watch out for the ones with big hair !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
North Hants is a really good course , always been in good nick whenever I have played it , couple of blind tee shots but really enjoyed it there.

Not a fan of Royal Ascot - bit too bland and if the fees are right it's way over priced.

If you don't mind the drive then Blackmoor would be top of the list - course is always in great condition , very playable , the members are very welcoming - well just watch out for the ones with big hair !

Thing is we're still cheaper than most of the nearest neighbours, and that's not including Swinley, Wentworth etc. Cheaper than Sand Martins, East Berks and Mill Ride. As the OP said money is a contributory factor and definitely not bland. I'd agree with Blackmoor or North Hants but cost will definitely be an issue