New Bunker Rules

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had a strange situation recently which was caused by the change to the rules about raking the bunker prior to making a shot.

In a matchplay event one of our opponents hit a shot into a bunker. It had been raining heavily and the bunker in question had a lot of standing water in it. There was only a limited place in the bunker to retrieve the ball. However, this would also be the only place to drop to ball to be clear of the water.

My opponent fished out his ball and then insisted he could rake the area he had trodden on prior to dropping his ball in the usual way. He insisted he could under the new rules (he clearly couldn't under the previous version).

Could you please clarify whether this is the case?

Mike Chapman

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rule was there to allow people to rake so that it might speed up play, or tidy up the course, but not to prepare an area for you to drop your ball.

I would say he broke the rules.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
13.4 - exception 2 ...... At any time, the player may smooth sand or soil in a hazard provided this is for the sole purpose of caring for the course and nothing is done to breach Rule 13-2 with respect to his next stroke.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rule was there to allow people to rake so that it might speed up play, or tidy up the course, but not to prepare an area for you to drop your ball.

I would say he broke the rules.

Agreed. He was improving his lie for sure. I think the new rule is to cover where there are those silly huge bunkers and you stay in it 50 yds further on so tidy up as you wander disconsolantly to your ball and try again.