Negative Reader Reviews

FourRight

Medal Winner
Visit site
Slugger

There was an email address in GM last year that you could use to sign up to test kit (I am still waiting for my chance). I am not sure if there is another method to sign up.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Mike.

As I have said on at least two occasions during this thread. Why rock the boat? We the 'RTP' do get a very good deal from this piece in the mag and I wouldn't like to see it withdrawn. One can always read between the lines of the edited comments that appear in the mag!

As you say, a more 'honest' if you prefer, opinion can always be left on the forum. But one man's meat and all that.

I have really grown to like the MD wedge that I was sent, as Paul OH will testify at the Royal Ascot Spring Meet.

Despite my tongue in cheek comments on here sometimes, I think that we all do appreciate the RTP.

Regards
HH

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
* Selling RTP stuff on ebay
I was frankly disgusted to read that EchtLoon put the set of irons he was sent FOC to test on ebay to profit from and buy a new driver.
I thought the T&C's we sent out with kit for the RTP make it crystal clear that we may need to ask for the items back if requested by the manufacturer (and therefore to keep hold of it).

First of all, apologies to GM if this was not the done thing.

I have to defend myself here due to misunderstanding though.

When I received the irons, there was nothing with them except a note from Wilson with a return address. Because of that I emailed GM to ask where they should be sent back to, GM or direct to Wilson, as that was what I thought you did with your test stuff.

Mike (I think?) explained that they were to be kept unless specified otherwise. If I'd known to send them back I would have done so, as indeed I had expected I would have to.

I would also imagine I'm far from the only one to have sold on gear they didn't like, just that I saw nothing wrong with admitting as much. Honesty is the best policy eh? :(

Also, only after having tried to pass these on gratis to a few friends, and a work colleague who tried them and didn't like them, did I end up selling them on, not that that really changes anything, but it's not as if I had £££ signs rolling in front of my eyes, I just never thought to say to GM, do you want to pick these up?

It's right that it's been clarified, the down side of this is of course, good review, keep the gear, bad review you have to send it back.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Totally concur Mike, I received the Yes! Tiffany putter and love it and wouldnt dream of selling it for profit.

But if you have a spare set of Cobra Pro CB's to test then I am your man ;)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
* Selling RTP stuff on ebay
I was frankly disgusted to read that EchtLoon put the set of irons he was sent FOC to test on ebay to profit from and buy a new driver.
I thought the T&C's we sent out with kit for the RTP make it crystal clear that we may need to ask for the items back if requested by the manufacturer (and therefore to keep hold of it).

What about Echtloon giving the money he made on Ebay to The Golf Foundation or something similar?

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
They didn't put it in as intended though.

The wedges were about 3/4" shorter than mine and I think this didn't give me a chance to test them fully.

They are nice looking and feeling wedges though.

In the "keeping it in the bag" heading I said after lengthning & re-gripping, maybe

I have had an email from Paul explaining why it had been edited.
I accept what he said as when I sent in my details, I omitted the fact that my clubs were longer than standard.

As such, to appear to be critical of a standard length wedge is, on my part totally unfair on the manufacturers.

BTW the main content of the report was still there.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to confess to selling the irons given to me to test as proved as disaster but all of the profit and the money made from the sale of my old irons was donated to CF which is a charity that my wife supports

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Mike.

As I have said on at least two occasions during this thread. Why rock the boat? We the 'RTP' do get a very good deal from this piece in the mag and I wouldn't like to see it withdrawn.
So in essence then, you agree that the reviews are pointless, and are in your eyes simply a way to get something for nothing.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Mike.

As I have said on at least two occasions during this thread. Why rock the boat? We the 'RTP' do get a very good deal from this piece in the mag and I wouldn't like to see it withdrawn.
So in essence then, you agree that the reviews are pointless, and are in your eyes simply a way to get something for nothing.

Only you would have read it and interpreted it in this way. Mike knows what I meant, and I suspect that most of the forum understood what I meant.

Go and take your frustrations out elsewhere. You're no better than a school kid that's been told off by the headmaster, and then go out into the playground to take your frustrations out on another kid.

Grow up.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Mike.

Only you would have read it and interpreted it in this way. Mike knows what I meant, and I suspect that most of the forum understood what I meant.

Go and take your frustrations out elsewhere. You're no better than a school kid that's been told off by the headmaster, and then go out into the playground to take your frustrations out on another kid.

Grow up.
I beg your pardon? If you want to throw childish analogies around, you sound like the school swot, always with her hand up, me sir me sir.

The point I was making in the OP, a long time ago was as follows:

Is it that you're scared to give an honest review for fear of not being asked again, or of causing offence to the manufacturer concerned?

You have essentially said the same thing above, whether you like it or not, in that you don't want to be critical as you are on to a good thing - your words.

The whole point of reader reviews, as Mike has pointed out, was to give real people the chance to air unbiased views on equipement, free from the possible worries of future marketing spend.

If these reviews carry the spectre of 'losing a good thing', then they are more tainted than the supposed raison d'etre.

This whole thread was merely making a comment on that, yet you wet your knickers because it is 'negative', yes 'negative' is in the thread title, the thread is not negative however, it is asking a question about the reviews based on observations since I did my own review.

Thank you.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Echtloon.

I'd appreciate not to receive any more abusive foul language pm's.

I will not be replying to it as once again you have demonstrated your lack of decorum.

May I also remind you that the accusation in your post prior to your previous one was deliberately provocative to get a reaction. You got it. And now you don't like it.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Echtloon.

I will not be replying to it as once again you have demonstrated your lack of decorum.

May I also remind you that the accusation in your post prior to your previous one was deliberately provocative to get a reaction. You got it. And now you don't like it.
Hapless, I'd appreciatte if you'd stop trolling me in every thread, but as you seem intent on it, I sent you a PM about it rather than clog up threads with drivel, and have asked for my account to be deleted.

The PM was not abusive, it did point out a few home truths though. Feel free to post it.

My post above was not to get a reaction as I am sure you're aware, but keep pulling out those strawmen if it makes you feel any better?

I don't go around provoking people like you seem to feel the need to. I call them as I see them, and your post basically mirrored what I felt was wrong with the whole Reader Reviews in the first place, and hence I commented on that.

I have no agenda, you clearly have one, which is to keep the freebies coming, and to hell with any integrity. This appears to be why you have become so defensive over what was initially a simple discussion question.

If you weren't so obsessed with trolling, and only read the threads that interested you, perhaps you may be able to continue your forum experience in blissful ignorance?

To actually create a thread ('best thing about golf') for no other reason than because I had posted this one, and the 'golf crimes' thread, is seriously weird. Post what you want to post about, and not because your world has been knocked off its axis by what another poster is posting about.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Echtloon.

Hapless, I'd appreciatte if you'd stop trolling me in every thread, but as you seem intent on it, I sent you a PM about it rather than clog up threads with drivel, and have asked for my account to be deleted.

The PM was not abusive, it did point out a few home truths though. Feel free to post it.

My post above was not to get a reaction as I am sure you're aware, but keep pulling out those strawmen if it makes you feel any better?

I don't go around provoking people like you seem to feel the need to. I call them as I see them, and your post basically mirrored what I felt was wrong with the whole Reader Reviews in the first place, and hence I commented on that.

I have no agenda, you clearly have one, which is to keep the freebies coming, and to hell with any integrity. This appears to be why you have become so defensive over what was initially a simple discussion question.

If you weren't so obsessed with trolling, and only read the threads that interested you, perhaps you may be able to continue your forum experience in blissful ignorance?

To actually create a thread ('best thing about golf') for no other reason than because I had posted this one, and the 'golf crimes' thread, is seriously weird. Post what you want to post about, and not because your world has been knocked off its axis by what another poster is posting about.

Ohh dear. I really can't be bothered.

If it makes you happy. You've won. (But somehow I doubt if that will make you feel any better).

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I promise, if ever given the chance, to post an honest critique of any equipment that GM feels it should get checked out by an incompetent, overrated buffoon.

I believe my credentials are impecable.

And as for would I rate them as 'keepers', well, only if they are better than my existing kit.

As I only happen to own a £20 driver, a £25 3w, and a £15 putter, you guess what I'm likely to say ;)

So where do I sign up :cool:

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I promise, if ever given the chance, to post an honest critique of any equipment that GM feels it should get checked out by an incompetent, overrated buffoon.

I believe my credentials are impecable.

And as for would I rate them as 'keepers', well, only if they are better than my existing kit.

As I only happen to own a £20 driver, a £25 3w, and a £15 putter, you guess what I'm likely to say ;)

So where do I sign up :cool:

lmfao - thats what I like to see, an honest, open & upfront kinda fella wih a bit of integrity!!

So basically you could be sent pretty much anything and its staying in the bag yeah? :D

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just done a review of an online lesson programme and honestly thought it was a good product for my standard.

Give me a set of MP62's and I'll love you forever but they'll stay in the cupboard for a long time.

Some areas of the portal needed tidying up for me and it was bit fiddly but I said that to the guy who called me regarding my review from the company who produce it.

Others might think it's no good but the idea of everybody having the same opinion is a bad thing right?