Nefyn, Royal St David's or....

Crocodile JD

Medal Winner
Visit site
Only read OP so if I am going over old ground then apologies but IMO:
First Porthmadog has one of the best back 9s I've ever played when you take the context of the surrounding area into account. The view off the elevated 13th tee are simply stunning. Some deride the front nine but I believe this is purely in comparison to such a great back 9 and in any other context it holds up very well. Well over half the holes can be considered true links and the rest are pretty much the same ground although a little further in land. If you play it you will not regret it
Second RSD excellent all out links and friendly if you get to meet any of the memebers. A must play in that part of the world
Third Neyfn superb views from high up. It's a cliff top course but the old course is falling into the sea and if you play it you'll find has become a bit of a novelty course with several holes borrowing one fairway effectively as you go out onto the penninsular. The new bit of the course (not that it's new nowadays) built to replace the old bit is not quite up there although it's always worth playing these courses at least ones to see for your self. Also have a pint in the Ty Cock Inn down on the beach while you're there, but personally I would play one of the others twice
Lastly I can't understand your comments regarding distances because if you are that close to Porthmadog already then you are closer to Harlech than Nefyn by some considerable way and it's a doddle now with the new bridge open at penrhyndeudraeth

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've only played RSD so can't offer a huge amount to the discussion but I will say this. If you are in the area, by all means play RSD but I certainly wouldn't make a long journey to play it.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only read OP so if I am going over old ground then apologies but IMO:
First Porthmadog has one of the best back 9s I've ever played when you take the context of the surrounding area into account. The view off the elevated 13th tee are simply stunning. Some deride the front nine but I believe this is purely in comparison to such a great back 9 and in any other context it holds up very well. Well over half the holes can be considered true links and the rest are pretty much the same ground although a little further in land. If you play it you will not regret it
Second RSD excellent all out links and friendly if you get to meet any of the memebers. A must play in that part of the world
Third Neyfn superb views from high up. It's a cliff top course but the old course is falling into the sea and if you play it you'll find has become a bit of a novelty course with several holes borrowing one fairway effectively as you go out onto the penninsular. The new bit of the course (not that it's new nowadays) built to replace the old bit is not quite up there although it's always worth playing these courses at least ones to see for your self. Also have a pint in the Ty Cock Inn down on the beach while you're there, but personally I would play one of the others twice
Lastly I can't understand your comments regarding distances because if you are that close to Porthmadog already then you are closer to Harlech than Nefyn by some considerable way and it's a doddle now with the new bridge open at penrhyndeudraeth

Cheers for this and for all the (useful) comments thus far :D.

Only going off what route planners say. Staying at Hafan Y Mar so it says Nefyn is 16 mins in one direction, likewise Porthmadog in the other direction, then further on to RSD (another 15 mins). My point was that RSD, based on what the route planner threw out, sticks another 30 mins onto the journey time.

Unless its wrong.

I think I'm sold on Porthmadog and the course pics look superb and the back 9 sounds like a must. We're going to the Ty Coch Inn for some grub if the weather's good and to take the nipper onto the beach there. Perhaps we'll become some of those pesky walkers getting in the way...:D

Also noticed that they're on Teeofftimes doing rounds for £20 but they only seem to do a few days at a time so am going to hold off booking until Friday to see if I can get it cheaper!

Cheers everyone :thup:

PS: Bluewolf, you're a turd x

Crocodile JD

Medal Winner
Visit site

Only going off what route planners say. Staying at Hafan Y Mar so it says Nefyn is 16 mins in one direction, likewise Porthmadog in the other direction, then further on to RSD (another 15 mins). My point was that RSD, based on what the route planner threw out, sticks another 30 mins onto the journey time.

Unless its wrong.

No sorry that's correct from that side although you are even closer Pwllheli which has a reasonable half links half parkland course although slightly over priced compared to the others

Anyway which ever I'm sure it will be good, lovely part of the world, even better if you mix golf and walking as I do

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain and say RSD would be top of the three on my list if in the area - I thought it a rather splendid links, with the bigger dunes quite a challenge. Porthmadog I've not played in a long time but I don't remember the inland 9 as being memorable (is that a tautology?) But a few holes on the back are magnificent. And whilst Nefyn is in a spectacular, and hard to beat location, the holes on the peninsular are actually a bit silly - and rather crammed in. And yes, braining a walker is easy game. Teeing off from the lighthouse doorstep is quite fun - but I guess really only the once.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm going to go against the grain and say RSD would be top of the three on my list if in the area - I thought it a rather splendid links, with the bigger dunes quite a challenge. Porthmadog I've not played in a long time but I don't remember the inland 9 as being memorable (is that a tautology?) But a few holes on the back are magnificent. And whilst Nefyn is in a spectacular, and hard to beat location, the holes on the peninsular are actually a bit silly - and rather crammed in. And yes, braining a walker is easy game. Teeing off from the lighthouse doorstep is quite fun - but I guess really only the once.

There's only 4 holes in the dunes, the rest is flat as a pancake :confused:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Unless its wrong.

I think I'm sold on Porthmadog and the course pics look superb and the back 9 sounds like a must. We're going to the Ty Coch Inn for some grub if the weather's good and to take the nipper onto the beach there. Perhaps we'll become some of those pesky walkers getting in the way...:D

Also noticed that they're on Teeofftimes doing rounds for £20 but they only seem to do a few days at a time so am going to hold off booking until Friday to see if I can get it cheaper!

Cheers everyone :thup:

PS: Bluewolf, you're a turd x

If you play Porthmadog, play the 12th (I think it is) off the whites, makes it a slightly different hole, but better views from the white tee.

If you play Nefyn, its only a 1o-15 minute walk back down to the Ty Coch, which is on the far side of the peninsula, after you play the par 3, from the top of the coastguard station.

Last edited:

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Played all three and would agree with most of the comments.

The views at Nefyn are fabulous but I certainly wouldn't bother with the penisular at this time of year. It does have an additional eight inland holes that can replace the peninsula but for an occasional visitor that defeats the object.

RSD is pleasant enough but from memory its only the last few holes that the dunes come into play.

Some great back nine holes at Portmadog providing you dont mind blind tee shots.

You could go a bit further South to Aberdovey, thats pretty decent.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Nefyn is massively over rated, and if it wasn't for the hole outs on the peninsula I wouldn't remember a single hole.

Royal StDavids is the best of the three and it can be brutal. I love it for that reason.

I do enjoy Porthmadog and it's a nice course that's a little more forgiving than Royal StDavids. If time is an issue I would go with that.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from Porthmadog. Didn't fall off a cliff.

Weather stayed kind after a large, full morning downpour. Waterproofs came off after 2 holes and that was basically that, t-shirt weather.

All the comments are right, the front 9 is nothing overly special, although still enjoyable due to the many well placed/natural hazards but once you get up to the green on 11 you're met with a great view. Had to rush through a few holes as 2 X 4 balls where hesitant in letting me through but other than that, it was millionaires golf.

A few (3 I think) blind tee shots with the driver or 3 wood on the back makes it interesting for a first-timer and I liked the undulating fairways. The Par 3s where all really nice with the 11th being a tough, long 200yrd, uphill shot to an almost blind landing zone/green.

Played to handicap, 35 points. Hit a few balls on some holes but counted mi first. Hit 3 on one of the par 3s to say if I could hole one and then walk into a deserted clubhouse to buy the barmaid a drink before posting it on Facebook but alas, not to be this time ;).

Not sure if I'd make a trip back to play it at £42 but certainly would if I was staying down here again, cheaper than taking the family out for the afternoon... :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just back from Porthmadog. Didn't fall off a cliff.

Weather stayed kind after a large, full morning downpour. Waterproofs came off after 2 holes and that was basically that, t-shirt weather.

All the comments are right, the front 9 is nothing overly special, although still enjoyable due to the many well placed/natural hazards but once you get up to the green on 11 you're met with a great view. Had to rush through a few holes as 2 X 4 balls where hesitant in letting me through but other than that, it was millionaires golf.

A few (3 I think) blind tee shots with the driver or 3 wood on the back makes it interesting for a first-timer and I liked the undulating fairways. The Par 3s where all really nice with the 11th being a tough, long 200yrd, uphill shot to an almost blind landing zone/green.

Played to handicap, 35 points. Hit a few balls on some holes but counted mi first. Hit 3 on one of the par 3s to say if I could hole one and then walk into a deserted clubhouse to buy the barmaid a drink before posting it on Facebook but alas, not to be this time ;).

Not sure if I'd make a trip back to play it at £42 but certainly would if I was staying down here again, cheaper than taking the family out for the afternoon... :D

:rofl:
Glad you enjoyed it. Slightly gutted you didn't fall off a cliff, but I'll learn to live with it.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How is 35 playing to handicap? :mmm:

Cant believe eve you didn't interrupt a family hol to arrange a forum meet. You Mancbluenoses are all the same...

D

Deleted member 1740

Cant believe eve you didn't interrupt a family hol to arrange a forum meet. You Mancbluenoses are all the same...

A bit like a flushed 90% iron :whoo:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

CSS was +1 of course, Dave....

I did hint at a wee 2/3 ball but you pair have to do what ya bints tell ya ;)

D

Deleted member 17920

CSS was +1 of course, Dave....

I did hint at a wee 2/3 ball but you pair have to do what ya bints tell ya ;)
Quite right Dave asking if 35 is playing to handicap!

adjusted he actually got 34 from the yellow tees so no he didn't play to handicap :rofl: