Nefyn, Royal St David's or....

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Porthmadog?

We're away for a wee long weekend next week. I must either be really loved or really hated as I have a pass for an afternoons golf.

Originally I was set on RSD however Porthmadog has popped up to my attention. Of course Nefyn is across the way as well. RSD is a 30min drive, Nefyn and Porthmadog 16 mins. RSD is £36, Porthmadog £42 and Nefyn £44 although cost ain't an issue. Speed is though and need to be back for 6:30ish, 7 latest. Tees are available for all at around 3pm

I think I know where I'm gonna book but for those who've played them or at least two of them, what ya reckon....?

Any other options within 20 mins? We're staying at the Havern (Hafan Y Mar). Over to the good folk of GM :thup:

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great idea, id be interested in a mini meet. Bacon buttie beforehand, few pints afterwards.

What could possibly go wrong :cheers:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great idea, id be interested in a mini meet. Bacon buttie beforehand, few pints afterwards.

What could possibly go wrong :cheers:

I think his missus is already with him Davey....

1. Nefyn for the peninsular holes.

2. Porthmadog for the 3 in one course that it is.

3. RSD for the nice castle on the hill. I think this is one of the most over rated courses in the top 100.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Found RSD ruddy nails especially the back 9 and the mental par 3 ( over 200 yards I think)

portmadog is is lovely course and stunning views on the back 9

nefyn is is nice too :)

in in either case 2 good courses but out of the 3 I would play in this order:

portmadog
nefyn
RSD

mat100p

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Porthmadog?

We're away for a wee long weekend next week. I must either be really loved or really hated as I have a pass for an afternoons golf.

Originally I was set on RSD however Porthmadog has popped up to my attention. Of course Nefyn is across the way as well. RSD is a 30min drive, Nefyn and Porthmadog 16 mins. RSD is £36, Porthmadog £42 and Nefyn £44 although cost ain't an issue. Speed is though and need to be back for 6:30ish, 7 latest. Tees are available for all at around 3pm

I think I know where I'm gonna book but for those who've played them or at least two of them, what ya reckon....?

Any other options within 20 mins? We're staying at the Havern (Hafan Y Mar). Over to the good folk of GM :thup:

Hi playing RSD and portmadog in couple of weeks in what will be our 3rd weekend outing over these two great tracks. Never played nefyn so can't comment. Given a choice I would say RSD is a traditional tuff links, Portmadog has a reasonable park land front 9 but come the back 9 it has the most fantastic views of Sam's bay and a stretch of 7/8 holes worth the green fee alone. Out of interest were you staying to be only 16 mins from both Nefyn and Portmadog.

D

Deleted member 1740

Nefyn for me mate, what day time you looking at playing?

I could be in Bala one day next week:funk::funk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can only comment on Portmadog. You wont be disappointed. Back 9 is a superb links setting and the front 9 aint too shabby either. that said, the photo's I've seen of Nefyn look a bit special.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did I say next week, I meat this coming Sunday!

I think Porthmadog is just shading it at the minute, weather isn't looking the best though currently but I'd rather get wet on the course than in a swimming pool full of kids! Could probably scrape a two ball in...

D

Deleted member 17920

Porthmadog?

Everyone hates you.

Whatever course you play you wont break 90 so see if they have a pitch and putt course local that will suit your level :D

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've not played any of these but do recall others commenting on walkers being an issue on the peninsular when playing Nefyn, esp on a nice weekend. Worth a word with the pro shop as a minimun I'd suggest as could be either frustrating or could challenge your timescale.

Either way, hope you have a nice trip,

Simon

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are in a rush don't play nefyn. The views are to be savoured and I'd imagine it will be busy and slowish.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've not played any of these but do recall others commenting on walkers being an issue on the peninsular when playing Nefyn, esp on a nice weekend. Worth a word with the pro shop as a minimun I'd suggest as could be either frustrating or could challenge your timescale.

Either way, hope you have a nice trip,

Simon

Yep. My problem with Nefyn is on the peninsular holes. Whilst spectacular to view, the volume of walkers on the holes, some just walking down the fairway's or across the fairways with no care in the world is unsafe to say the least. Even more so given that some of the shots are blind - you have no idea who is over the brow of the hill, including cars going to and fro the pub on the point.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not played any of these but do recall others commenting on walkers being an issue on the peninsular when playing Nefyn, esp on a nice weekend.

Ive heard this also.

My mate actually hit a lady walking across one of the fairways with his tee shot.
He walked over and apologised etc... Turns out she was a member at his club.