Nefyn golf club

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all, I am going to Wales in September for 4 days & have booked a couple of courses to play. I have just come across Nefyn golf club and the views have me eager to play.

The reason for my post is because after looking at reviews there seem to be a lot of negative reviews.

I would love to play here just from the pics I have seen but don't want to be massively dissapointed.

I would love your thoughts on this course

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Paul

Played it last year. It was nice but a big let down for me was one of the par 3's that you tee off from under the lighthouse. The tee box is really small so you tee off from a mat.

Maybe I'm being picky but I expected more from it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Paul

Played it last year. It was nice but a big let down for me was one of the par 3's that you tee off from under the lighthouse. The tee box is really small so you tee off from a mat.

I think it depends what you're expecting.

The scenery is spectacular, it's a pretty unique location.

The course itself, if located anywhere else, would be forgettable.

Worth playing for the former imo.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hi Paul

Won a comp have yer :D :D

Ignore this fool it's a cracker. Just beware of the walkers on the peninsula stretch of the old course.

Paulsearle1405

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most of the bad reviews were about the public on the course & a lot of people felt uncomfortable. This is my main concern as I'm partial to a few wayward shots

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You play this course for the beauty of the views and the unique layout around the old course.

I had an absolute ball the time I played it. The rough is cut well down to so you don't spend all day looking for your ball. I'm sure they do this to save time as it is most likely very busy in the summer.

If you want to play a true links course for the course alone, go to Birkdale, hillside etc.

If you want to play golf in a truly special part of the world with unbelievable views, try nefyn.

Certainly a must play, if only once.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
Hugely over rated, you would be much better off playing some of the other course within the area.

Views are nice but the course is average at best.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You play this course for the beauty of the views and the unique layout around the old course.

I had an absolute ball the time I played it. The rough is cut well down to so you don't spend all day looking for your ball. I'm sure they do this to save time as it is most likely very busy in the summer.

If you want to play a true links course for the course alone, go to Birkdale, hillside etc.

If you want to play golf in a truly special part of the world with unbelievable views, try nefyn.

Certainly a must play, if only once.

👆👆👆

+1 ✔

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I played it a few years ago and absolutely loved it,
it's reasonably priced too, the points about the walkers is true, I played on a sunny Bamk Holiday Monday so was pretty busy but it is only for a couple of holes.
Give it a go, you will not regret it.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant course if you are looking for a fun day out, the first 9 has some great holes along the cliff & the back nine is pleasant (I'd leave it till last if you're playing all 27 as it's not a patch on the other 2 nines). The 9 holes along the peninsula are mad but such good fun working out where to hit the ball & keeping it out of the sea.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Played it 3 weeks ago in beautiful sunshine and it was great. The outgoing 9 is lovely along the cliff edges, (probably the closest I will ever get to a Pebble Beach experience). The old course 9 out onto the Peninsula are a bit contrived but it's very enjoyable. The 17th I thought was mental and dangerous. There is a busy footpath up the left a narrow fairway and chasm to the right, you are going to be tempted to hit a blind tee shot towards that path which brings walkers into play. I wouldn't want to be walking along that path with people driving off the 17th. Still worth playing though as the views are stunning.

If you are that way, try Porthmadog. Two differing 9's, the first inland park style (not amazing), the second, proper links (lovely). 13th hole, driveable par 4 with the bay/beach to your left (from the tee) is stunning. It's the main background on their website.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best way to say it - Nefyn is an itch that you should scratch.

Its nowhere near the best course in the world, it is entertaining though, and the views from the fairways are what make the experience. If in the area, play it.

Then you can moan/wax lyrical about it to others then.:D

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played it about 5 weeks ago and it was sensational. 20 degrees, bright blue skies and zero wind. I found it to be such an enjoyable place, the views are beyond words and because there was no wind I was able to play well which must have added to the love of the course. It must be played if you're nearby.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Loved it when we played it a few years a go! Don't listen to negative views it's a good experience and if weather is good, stunning views!

on flip side played royal st David. Miles better course but did not enjoy it as much as o found it too hard!