Need to learn rules

Callawayplayer85

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hey guys i just got my handicap and now i need to learn the stableford rules and matchplay rules. and how to work out if that i am playing better or worse than my handicap.
is there any good websites that you know of to help me?
Thanks in advance.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey guys i just got my handicap and now i need to learn the stableford rules and matchplay rules. and how to work out if that i am playing better or worse than my handicap.
is there any good websites that you know of to help me?
Thanks in advance.

For future reference Grab a free copy Of the rules from your club/pro shop next time your there and put in your bag for reference if/when needed on the course.

Is it rules or scoring you are uncertain of?

Callawayplayer85

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just not sure how to score,and the rules of stableford and matchplay and how to tell if i am playing better than my handicap for example i dont know how many points/nett score my handicap of 23 is and i need to learn.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just not sure how to score,and the rules of stableford and matchplay and how to tell if i am playing better than my handicap for example i dont know how many points/nett score my handicap of 23 is and i need to learn.

Matchplay is easy it's 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 and each hole is won, drawn or lost!

What is your shiny new handicap? (Edit read the question!)

Briefly - On the scorecard you'll see next to the yardage and par for each hole, a stroke index or SI. On hole SI 1-5 you get 2 shots per hole so once you've completed the hole you enter your full(gross) score in the column A and gross score -2 in the nett column, still with me, if you nett score is a birdie you get 3 points, par is 2 points and a bogey 1 point after that pick up and move on. On holes SI 6-18 you get 1 per hole so gross score -1 goes in the nett column!

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Matchplay is easy it's 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 and each hole is won, drawn or lost!

What is your shiny new handicap? (Edit read the question!)

Briefly - On the scorecard you'll see next to the yardage and par for each hole, a stroke index or SI. On hole SI 1-5 you get 2 shots per hole so once you've completed the hole you enter your full(gross) score in the column A and gross score -2 in the nett column, still with me, if you nett score is a birdie you get 3 points, par is 2 points and a bogey 1 point after that pick up and move on. On holes SI 6-18 you get 1 per hole so gross score -1 goes in the nett column!

Also to add on SI 1-5 a gross par gives nett eagle (eg 4 nett 2 for 4 points) and a gross birdie gives 5 points...Positive thinking!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also to add on SI 1-5 a gross par gives nett eagle (eg 4 nett 2 for 4 points) and a gross birdie gives 5 points...Positive thinking!

Having faced such things playing with a 23handicapper in a club stableford - Fair point! Nothing quite like matching someone's gross score yet scoring 2 points less than them!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope these links help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_play#Scoring_using_handicaps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford#Scoring (ignore modified stableford)

Try to avoid thinking about stableford scoring until after the round. Just look how many threads the are were people had great points on the front and crumbled or poor scoring on the front nine and managed to rally.

At the moment play the course and be happy with averaging bogey at every hole. You can bear S.I in mind to help reduce stress on S.I 1-5 where doubles or better will return a good score. If you can manage that and stay relaxed you start dropping the handicap in no time. When this happens you can start moving your goals towards par.

I honestly think that one of the secrets to this game for the handicap golfer is setting yourself small but achievable targets.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be best not to know and let the computer tell you when you are done (in a competition).

But simply stableford is based on 2 points for nett par so 18x2 = 36.

Pretty much anything over 30 is a good day out (say some), as long as you have fun the score rarely matters.