Need to complete my set SW and new LW but unsure to continue my set

oroboros

Visit site
Hi All,

First post on here so please bear with me.

I caught the bug a couple of years ago and am slowly progressing, i am a member at a nice linx par 3 course in Cornwall and am regularly scoring around 70 (16 over) and broke 90 on a decent course last week for the first time.

last year i was measured up and bought a set of Ping K15's 4-PW new and bought Ping K15 3W + 5W and Driver on ebay. My measurements are +0.5 green dot which i believe is 2 / 2.25 upright

I also picked up a titleist voaky 60 deg lob wedge sec in a local golf store but seems very short and the grooves are fading.

I am now thinking i would benefit from getting a SW and getting a new LW as recently hitting my PW a lot further and need something that goes 80 - 100 yards and can get some more control on short game.

What i was looking to ask is 1: is it worth going for K15 LW and SW with my measurements or go off the shelf for some used good quality alternates

2: how important is if for SW and LW for the lie angle to right ( i believe i know the answer to this but would like other opinions)

3: any particular other LW or SW out there the you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance

A

now for something completely different =)
[video]http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/golf-tee-off-v4.gif?w=700&h=569[/video]

golf-tee-off-v4.jpg

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello welcome and enjoy.

i would be inclined to go with the ping tour gorge wedges if your want to stick with same make rather than getting matching SW LW for your K15.
otherwise a trip to a store with stock of cleveland vokey mizuno et al see what takes your eye and go from there. worth checking the loft on PW to try and keep gapping even too.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would first find the PW loft from the Ping site, then buy some MD Golf wedges

Aim to have 4 to 6 deg gap in lofts and you will have no problems using off the peg lies etc

I have PING G25 and I have added the MD Golf 58 deg / 10 bounce wedge for bunkers and 65 yds in shots

Look on ebay for MD Golf very good value and quality gear

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Best method is to try demo wedges out and pick the ones that feel/work best.

Green Dot is not unusual. Most edges can be bent (or belted in the case of Ping ones) that much if required. A few shots on a 'Lie Board' should show any required adjustment - though make sure the lie board isn't just sitting on the ground as that will distort the results.

I actually doubt that the grooves are really worn on your Lob Wedge - it takes thousands upon thousands of hits for that to happen. They are designed to go high rther than long.

It's worth developing a couple of less than full swings too. Half swing, where arms go back to horizontal (Pelz 9 o'Clock) or 3/4 where arms goes back further (Pelz 10:30). That should give you a bit more variety for the distances you mentioned.

Oh and Welcome!

oroboros

Visit site
Hi all,

thx for your replies, so i am not the only one who inst feeling very productive on a sunny Friday afternoon =)

the ping K15 PW has 45 deg loft and 64 deg lie

i am told my best part of my game is my short game (40 yards and under) but since i got the k15's i do find them alittle un responsive, which makes sense as they are super game improvement clubs but think might be worth getting some more responsive wedges so will look into the ping tour gorge wedges

with regards to my current loft wedge loosing its grooves, the club iself is quiet old and is starting to rust and some of the metal around the grooves are starting to peal/ bubble slightly, i used to stay clear of the it as produced erratic results but now feel like i want to improve my back spin skills.

i find it very diffiuclt to find green dot or +.5inch shafts on ebay or resellers, it surprises me that so many people must be playing with off the shelf clubs.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
i find it very diffiuclt to find green dot or +.5inch shafts on ebay or resellers, it surprises me that so many people must be playing with off the shelf clubs.

Then buy the nearest dot colour to your specification and send it off to Ping at Gainsborough to be adjusted to your spec, free of charge.

oroboros

Visit site
Then buy the nearest dot colour to your specification and send it off to Ping at Gainsborough to be adjusted to your spec, free of charge.

Thats not 100% true as i recently sent back all of my clubs to be altered, they do not charge for the alteration but you have to send a £25 ish cheque with the clubs for return postage.

A

Alex1975

Not sure that shaft is right for her?!....

Welcome to the forum!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With wedges I doubt lie angle will make any difference to the shots

Maybe PW but high loft wedges I doubt it

I would aim for a 50, 54 and 58 wedge set should be perfect

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
With wedges I doubt lie angle will make any difference to the shots

Maybe PW but high loft wedges I doubt it

I would aim for a 50, 54 and 58 wedge set should be perfect

Gotta disagree with that I'm afraid
At this close to the green accuracy is absolutely key so lie angle being off you have to hit a perfect mis-swing every time to get the ball starting on the right line at which point you will necessarily have side spin on the shot so if you start it off on line, it will spin away.
Was an unexpected revelation when I had my wedges at the right lie angle - I had never actually seen a ball literally go up and down the set up line to the hole andi found I started chipping in on a frequent basis
If you can get it done with the options available to you I would recommend it

oroboros

Visit site

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gotta disagree with that I'm afraid
At this close to the green accuracy is absolutely key so lie angle being off you have to hit a perfect mis-swing every time to get the ball starting on the right line at which point you will necessarily have side spin on the shot so if you start it off on line, it will spin away.
Was an unexpected revelation when I had my wedges at the right lie angle - I had never actually seen a ball literally go up and down the set up line to the hole andi found I started chipping in on a frequent basis
If you can get it done with the options available to you I would recommend it

Sorry but I disagree, with variations in choking down etc etc you will alter the lie angle yourself by stance, distance to ball etc so I stand by my comment

I agree PW would be lie dependent, SW and LW I cannot see it making much difference for handicap golfers with a variation in 2.25 deg as the OP mentioned,

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree, with variations in choking down etc etc you will alter the lie angle yourself by stance, distance to ball etc so I stand by my comment

I agree PW would be lie dependent, SW and LW I cannot see it making much difference for handicap golfers with a variation in 2.25 deg as the OP mentioned,

How does choking down change your lie angle ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Danny Willett discussing why he has upright irons but standard wedges.

[video=youtube;HBySO-yuuDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBySO-yuuDc[/video]