Nedbank....Dylan Fritelli drop & Ross Fisher woes

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched it happen and Lowry was spot on - the sprinkler didn’t appear to be in the line of his swing , the oncourse reporter said that Frittelli manufactured a swing to attempt to get the sprinkler in his swing plane. And Lowry was entitled to speak his piece when he said he didn’t think he was entitled to the drop but then said its up to the referee.

Is it cheating or using the rules to your advantage - he asked for relief and the referee gave it to him - can you really call him a cheat then.

Also not sure what SSN were reporting because he clearly took the drop - Lowry didn’t look too impressed
Yes because he lied to the ref ..

Its not soccer u know 😆

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
He asked the referee the question and got the answer he wanted. Is it cheating? Not in my book as he proceeded as instructed and the issue is with the referee and their lack of backbone and bottle. Lowry was perfectly entitled to make his views known as he's representing the rest of the field to ensure nothing untoward happened. I agree with others though, the loose impediment rule needs looking at. If you and your caddy alone can't move it then tough. Not sure how the marquee groups can get fans to assist when the early starters wouldn't have the same opportunities for help. Doesn't seem fair and equitable

Yes he did, but in my view the question was based on a falsehood.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
In which case it was the responsibility of the referee to tell the player that and that based on that a drop was not permissible

The referee didn't have the cojones to call him out, Lowry would have done, I would have done and, I suspect, you would have done.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't seen the incident and so can't comment on that. Do pro's sign each others cards? Would Lowry be required to sign this players card to verify it or did another player have it?

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
It's up to the player to truthfully tell the referee which shot and swingpath he intends to take, the referee will then base his decision on that.

DF didn't truthfully give the ref the right information, therefore he cheated.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think some need to think back to when they've faced the shot he had, the camera didn't get in there and even lowery didn't see the balls actual position

Relief was given because of where the player said he intended to play it and meant the sprinkler could be a factor

The ball was in a grass bush and that means a part of the plant could easily mean that playing directly to the flag may not be the best shot/line, maybe still doable for a pro but certainly not his only shot option and not one person on here would have criticised him if he played it from its original position and chose a line away from the flag as a shot with better odds of success, based on the balls position

With that shot option open to him he demonstrated to an official the swing hw would use and was granted relief

What is the problem

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's bizarre how in golf, you see players bending the free drop rule to their advantage, yet in the same sport players have been disqualified from tournaments because their ball moved 1 or 2 dimples on the fairway when they addressed it, 180 yards from the green`

I've seen Charl Schwarzel trying to get a free drop in the semi-rough due to a drain near his ball. He was clearly making an exaggerated over the top swing to demonstrate the drain was interfering. He would easily have been able to drop it on the fairway, had he been allowed a free drop. The official didn't allow him the drop.

Another cray factor is the stands around 2 or 3 greens at most pro events. They can easily take much of the surround out of play and in fact make the green a much smaller target. Players can actually aim for the stands knowing they'll get a free drop, closer to the green, with zero chance of going in a hazard or being hideously out of position.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think some need to think back to when they've faced the shot he had, the camera didn't get in there and even lowery didn't see the balls actual position

Relief was given because of where the player said he intended to play it and meant the sprinkler could be a factor

The ball was in a grass bush and that means a part of the plant could easily mean that playing directly to the flag may not be the best shot/line, maybe still doable for a pro but certainly not his only shot option and not one person on here would have criticised him if he played it from its original position and chose a line away from the flag as a shot with better odds of success, based on the balls position

With that shot option open to him he demonstrated to an official the swing hw would use and was granted relief

What is the problem

I believe the problem is that he tried to get relief by deliberately misleading the official and, to my mind, that's cheating.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I believe the problem is that he tried to get relief by deliberately misleading the official and, to my mind, that's cheating.

Do you mean he had several shot options open to choose from and he deliberately chose one to see if he would get relief

And the problem is?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks like it’s going to be good finish, rooting for Westwood , he looks very relaxed, think it’s his daughter on the bag,last week it was his son, begs the question how important is a caddie for a experienced players like Westwood.

D

Deleted member 18121

Watching Sergio's pre shot routine is torturous, about a million re-grips just to hit a 9 iron lay up..... Poor guy.

Wolf

Visit site
Watching Sergio's pre shot routine is torturous, about a million re-grips just to hit a 9 iron lay up..... Poor guy.
Remember her went through this a few years ago its almost like swing yips, he sorted it out for quite a while and win the masters, but since then it's been creeping back in....

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like it’s going to be good finish, rooting for Westwood , he looks very relaxed, think it’s his daughter on the bag,last week it was his son, begs the question how important is a caddie for a experienced players like Westwood.
not his daughter his girlfriend
what a round by Lee ,fantastic golf all round .
now all he needs to do is remember what he did with the putter today and he would be back in the top echelons of the game fighting the whippersnappers .

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while!

Westwood in the winners circle again, there is hope for us all!

😉😂