Mysterious terms

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
  • LLs - Lucy Lockets - another term for a shank
  • Blobs - When you can't score on a hole in stableford
  • Scrambles - Texas scramble is a team event where you pick a persons shot and all play from that position and repeat until the ball is in the hole
  • Swindles - Another term for a roll up group. Also sometimes referred to as greedies
Luck Locket - as in where the ball hits the club when you hit a shank - the Socket

NGIR would have had me struggling - were it not Nearly GIR...:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have only ever heard/seen this used by one person, which is SwingsitlikeHogan on here. I presume locket rhyming with socket is the reason.

Maybe only SILH has been battling with them for so long that he has had to continually trawl around for any new euphemism for them - actually I've been using Lucy Locket for a long time - it's not new.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe only SILH has been battling with them for so long that he has had to continually trawl around for any new euphemism for them - actually I've been using Lucy Locket for a long time - it's not new.
Not to mention your famous standing position thread, what was the initials for that again ? :D
But I prefer calling LLs The Shermans

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
FWIW and IIRC are often used - and it took me a while to get what they were - and that they were not golf specific.

'Bounce' is a term I've only recently understood...and I enjoyed finding out last week what 'gear effect' is.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Another term that baffled one of the young pros was when I talked of hitting the ball 'out of the screws'. Then I showed him my Macgregor Velocitized Eye-O-Matic T85 Persimmon Driver (they did technology back then too it seems) - and that elicited a big - ahhhh...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a long time on a car forum before asking the question, what is rtfm? This was posted over and over again. Read the flippin manual :D. A terse reply, usually given by long term posters who got fed up seeing the same requests time and time again from people who could have found the answer in the manual but could not be bothered to check.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to have a special pass to play on that area. It's a certificate with code number preceded by a + sign.
It's a bit boring really. No spectacular scenery I'm told.