My Swing

andyp774

Hacker
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbA2w_Q2Ts

Right first proper post on the forum. Would love some feedback on my swing.

I started playing properly last year and joined my local club in September. First handicap was 14 and came down to 11 in January as I have been playing really well since in the winter comps. Winning two of them, one playing to 3 (44 points) in the March Stableford the other week.

I know I have a short back swing but do generate some decent power in the down swing. My pro at the club is happy with my swing but I would love some feedback from others in the forum.

I am thick skinned so tell me how it is.......

:mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Mate, if that was my swing I'd be very happy. You have a tempo to die for and I can only dream of keeping my backswing that short. Single figures is not far away.

andyp774

Hacker
Visit site
Mate, if that was my swing I'd be very happy. You have a tempo to die for and I can only dream of keeping my backswing that short. Single figures is not far away.

Cheers for that. Had the dreaded shanks recently though think it is coz ive been playing too much golf plus ive got a side strain at the min. First qualifying comp on Saturday April medal fingers crossed.

Always try to keep it simple. I see too many people overswinging and losing balance at the top of their swing. Pro said do not change a thing and keep it like that.

Hope that the single figures are coming along soon for you too bud heading the right way..........

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbA2w_Q2Ts

Right first proper post on the forum. Would love some feedback on my swing.

I started playing properly last year and joined my local club in September. First handicap was 14 and came down to 11 in January as I have been playing really well since in the winter comps. Winning two of them, one playing to 3 (44 points) in the March Stableford the other week.

I know I have a short back swing but do generate some decent power in the down swing. My pro at the club is happy with my swing but I would love some feedback from others in the forum.

I am thick skinned so tell me how it is.......

:mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm::mmm:

Is your bad shot a hook/push?

andyp774

Hacker
Visit site
wondering what the pro has been focusing on working through during lessons - any set-up stuff?

In all honesty had one lesson back in October and nothing since, have worked on the draw all by myself this winter. All the things I do I have studied online and implemented them myself into my game and it seems to be working ok.

I am having a lesson with the pro this week so will let you know what he says. I will try and take another video tonight to give a further update.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
okay

hope it goes good

take a look at these 2 images they give an insight to some of the stuff that is playing into the bad shot outcomes like the 'pipes'

dnRAVwy.png
[/IMG]
7Egp54f.png
[/IMG]

andyp774

Hacker
Visit site
okay

hope it goes good

take a look at these 2 images they give an insight to some of the stuff that is playing into the bad shot outcomes like the 'pipes'

dnRAVwy.png
[/IMG]
7Egp54f.png
[/IMG]

I see great work coach thanks for that. Think if I sort these little "faults" I have could be a very nice swing.

Always knew I had a bit too much movement in my hips towards the ball. Will try and work on this when I pop up to the practice ground tonight.

How would you work on it. Ive seen a vid online where you have three tees and you aim to hit the tee closest to you with the heel of the club and hit the ball more with the toe. If I get that feeling of hitting more from the toe than the heel my strike should improve a lot.

I tend to shank when I am trying to hit the case off the ball and the swing becomes imbalanced

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
using a bag of clubs like shown in the vid here (though what you doing a little ways different to whatt the guy in the vid is) - realize bunch of ranges not cool with that - so an upturned basket with an alignment stick at an angle with a headcover on top to be touching the lead butt cheek which you at impact want to push back some as opposed to move away from will help the same ways

there's also a bunch of vids using a chairback against the tush line and again into impact chairback gets pushed back a tad so not the tushline moving aways from the top of the chairback

but as ever with golf a bunch of the set-up alignments and grip conditions that's going down will be playing into what takes place during the swing motion

[video=youtube;py07jb3Bwjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py07jb3Bwjo[/video]

Last edited:

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im no expert, you have a fairly good swing going on there though mate. TBH, you're probably better off getting good advice from a lesson with a pro and working on it rather than using the YouTube/DIY route. You just end up watching loads of videos and end up with a head full of a wee bit of everyone's advice.
My own opinion though, you have a fairly short swing, so I'd try and keep your left foot planted a bit more and stop your knee coming in.

andyp774

Hacker
Visit site
Im no expert, you have a fairly good swing going on there though mate. TBH, you're probably better off getting good advice from a lesson with a pro and working on it rather than using the YouTube/DIY route. You just end up watching loads of videos and end up with a head full of a wee bit of everyone's advice.
My own opinion though, you have a fairly short swing, so I'd try and keep your left foot planted a bit more and stop your knee coming in.

Yeah I know that is a problem. Worked tonight on my takeaway tonight as it was too much on the inside and i was moving in towards the ball at impact causing the dreaded shanks.......

Thanks for the info and I have arranged a lesson with our pro at Wakefield for next week. Get this weeks comp out of the way so there is nothing in my head whilst playing as it is a medal on Saturday.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A little knowledge is dangerous, how do you know your to far Inside???.
As for the shanks, look for the positives, you're only a few mm away from a good shot, set the club up with the ball perfectly in the centre of the club face then sit a cardboard box at the toe of the club. The hit balls from there.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I know that is a problem. Worked tonight on my takeaway tonight as it was too much on the inside and i was moving in towards the ball at impact causing the dreaded shanks.......

Thanks for the info and I have arranged a lesson with our pro at Wakefield for next week. Get this weeks comp out of the way so there is nothing in my head whilst playing as it is a medal on Saturday.

more golf swing issues often times begin with hold and set-up as they build in the need to make compensations withing the motion
folks hold on the handle plus set-up become a 'comfortable' habit

see what the lesson brings

the swing working 'too much' on the inside is down to a large part to set-up stuff so to you it feels a bunch inside as the set-up alignments aren't working to the 'rods' target line you got down the club being taking back to your address shoulder line, foot line, it's only a tad 'inside' of the body alignments

iJx6JOC.png
[/IMG]
hx8KADc.png
[/IMG]