My swing speed

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Swinging your 6 iron around the 90mph, you would be best suited to a stiff shaft. The trick now is to see what type of stiff shaft will benefit you most. High or low launch, depending on what flight your after. Weight is another key point. As for your driver must be stiff, over 95 and your into a stiff shaft, again different shafts do different things. Best bet is to pop over to a direct golf, take up their free golf mot find out about your swing, maybe even try a suitable driver or iron and see how it could benefit you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Swinging your 6 iron around the 90mph, you would be best suited to a stiff shaft. The trick now is to see what type of stiff shaft will benefit you most. High or low launch, depending on what flight your after. Weight is another key point. As for your driver must be stiff, over 95 and your into a stiff shaft, again different shafts do different things. Best bet is to pop over to a direct golf, take up their free golf mot find out about your swing, maybe even try a suitable driver or iron and see how it could benefit you.

This post shows the classic narrow-mindedness (well lack of open-mindedness) and pre-conceptions that is far too common wrt golf and fitting.

The word 'must' should never be used wrt golf fitting - nor most other parts of golf either imo.

However, if you are spraying woods with swings that feel right, then it's likely that a stiffer and/or heavier shaft could well help. And if the 6-iron speed translates across to woods, then it's also likely that you have the speed to support a stronger shaft

Doesn't seem as if your Pro is geared up to actually sort that out, though does seem capable of identifying a possible problem - or at least planting the seed of an idea.

I'd always suggest that you get properly fitted. It should by someone who isn't necessarily going to immediately sell you shafts (or another head), but will identify the sort of shaft that you should be looking to acquire. You should expect to pay (a reasonable, but not excessive amount) for that service. One of the benefits of that fitting process is that it will allow you to feel different shafts and the effect they have on your swing. Of course, your swing is likely to change through your Pro's efforts, but a decent fitter will also take that into account.

I'm pretty certain you won't get properly fit at a DG or AG! Their sales staff are employed to sell items that give those companies most profit! What you might get is an opportunity (as per DG's MOT mentioned but, given that it's free, then it's actually really a sales opportunity for them) to try out different shafts and find out for yourself what feels best - and hopefully what goes best - for you. If you pay for the service, you should also be able to take away printouts of Launch Monitor results too.

Trial without Prejudice is an excellent, if interestingly difficult (if you analyse your 'honesty') approach.

And for a slightly 'prejudged if not prejudiced rule of thumb, .... you should be using the softest shaft you can control.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
This post shows the classic narrow-mindedness (well lack of open-mindedness) and pre-conceptions that is far too common wrt golf and fitting.

The word 'must' should never be used wrt golf fitting - nor most other parts of golf either imo.

However, if you are spraying woods with swings that feel right, then it's likely that a stiffer and/or heavier shaft could well help. And if the 6-iron speed translates across to woods, then it's also likely that you have the speed to support a stronger shaft

Doesn't seem as if your Pro is geared up to actually sort that out, though does seem capable of identifying a possible problem - or at least planting the seed of an idea.

I'd always suggest that you get properly fitted. It should by someone who isn't necessarily going to immediately sell you shafts (or another head), but will identify the sort of shaft that you should be looking to acquire. You should expect to pay (a reasonable, but not excessive amount) for that service. One of the benefits of that fitting process is that it will allow you to feel different shafts and the effect they have on your swing. Of course, your swing is likely to change through your Pro's efforts, but a decent fitter will also take that into account.

I'm pretty certain you won't get properly fit at a DG or AG! Their sales staff are employed to sell items that give those companies most profit! What you might get is an opportunity (as per DG's MOT mentioned but, given that it's free, then it's actually really a sales opportunity for them) to try out different shafts and find out for yourself what feels best - and hopefully what goes best - for you. If you pay for the service, you should also be able to take away printouts of Launch Monitor results too.

Trial without Prejudice is an excellent, if interestingly difficult (if you analyse your 'honesty') approach.

And for a slightly 'prejudged if not prejudiced rule of thumb, .... you should be using the softest shaft you can control.

That is some good advice.

My pro mentioned before that over 100 with driver would likely require stiff but borderline area could still be regular. Torque, weight, kick point etc will be factors that have an affect.

Being properly custom fit at a specific companies place like the Titleist National Fitting Centre or brand you like will enable you to try a massive variation of shafts. Most shops only have a very small selection usually standard stock options.

Myself was fitted for a shaft that I have never seen in any off the shelf driver or any fitting cart in golf stores. The cost for Titleist was £45 and the shaft upgrade was an extra £20 but after playing with it I would have paid double or even triple that for the amount of enjoyment it has brought to my game. Not counting savings on lost balls.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
+1 for foxholer and Phil's comments.

Saying you need a stiff shaft is like saying you need a 2 litre car. Lots of variation about what that means.

Swing speed is not the only factor. Shaft weight, swing tempo and release, feel also very important. But you have to start somewhere, so start with a stiff shaft, but the fitting could move you to regular, x-stiff or something in between.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Right I have just had my stiff driver shaft delivered. I put it on my driver and had a few swings in the garden and the club head feels so much more under control but the true test will be on the course. When I put my REG back on it instantly felt very floppy compared and it was as if I had very little control or feel compared. It's certainly not in my head and there was a lot of difference between the two.

I'm not going to jump for the sky and believe I'm going to be hitting like Rory but I feel the change may have a very positive effect on my game.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Do you mind if I disagree on the basis that the word "stiff" has very little meaning when it comes to shaft flex on account of there are no standards. I have a SS of about 95mph and the shaft I have has "stiff" written on it. The guy who fitted me at Titleist has a SS of 103mph and has a shaft that has "regular" written on it.

Can I also disagree that popping over to DG is the best place to try different shafts - it isn't, neither is AG. If you're not going to get fitted by a proper fitter, get a load of shafts and go and play golf with them, you're better off going on your own gut instinct than trusting an DG\AG launch monitor.

Just my tuppence worth.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right I have just had my stiff driver shaft delivered. I put it on my driver and had a few swings in the garden and the club head feels so much more under control but the true test will be on the course. When I put my REG back on it instantly felt very floppy compared and it was as if I had very little control or feel compared. It's certainly not in my head and there was a lot of difference between the two.

I'm not going to jump for the sky and believe I'm going to be hitting like Rory but I feel the change may have a very positive effect on my game.

good luck, will be interested to hear how it goes.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I will do but unfortunately it will be after crimbo now as my loverly GF has paid for it as a stocking filler, she don't know I've been playing garden golf with it either so shhhh