My swing speed

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Now I haven't done any real swing speed tests (Trackman ect) but I had a hit with one of them little machines attached to a club. The test was far from profession as I only hit 3 balls with no warm up at all. The club wasn't even mine it was a JPX 825 pro 6 iron which I must say felt nice.

The first 2 shots where caught clean and straight down the middle with a swing speed of 89-90 then The last one I tried to belt and it shot off straight right so we ignored the readings on that one LOL

So my question will my swing be much faster with woods? If so what's the usual MPH to add?

I'm in the middle of finding out if stiff shafts would suit as my pro thinks reg is too whippy for me. I've just bought a stiff shaft to try in my RBZ driver aswell but I'm waiting for it to come.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now I haven't done any real swing speed tests (Trackman ect) but I had a hit with one of them little machines attached to a club. The test was far from profession as I only hit 3 balls with no warm up at all. The club wasn't even mine it was a JPX 825 pro 6 iron which I must say felt nice.

The first 2 shots where caught clean and straight down the middle with a swing speed of 89-90 then The last one I tried to belt and it shot off straight right so we ignored the readings on that one LOL

So my question will my swing be much faster with woods? If so what's the usual MPH to add?

I'm in the middle of finding out if stiff shafts would suit as my pro thinks reg is too whippy for me. I've just bought a stiff shaft to try in my RBZ driver aswell but I'm waiting for it to come.

What it says on the shaft is largely irrelevant. Reg in some manufacturers can be firmer than stiff in others. You really need to get fitted to find the right one for you.

In answer to your original question, I think 15% is a good indicator as to how much quicker your driver SS will but it's not foolproof

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
For any future purchases custom fitting is the way ill certainly go. As for now I hit my irons well but lack consistency with woods and my pro thinks they are way too whippy for me so ill see how I get on with the stiff driver shaft.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
6 iron speed is usually about 85% of driver speed. 89-90 is a good speed with the 6 iron, so I would expect you to be around 105 with the driver.

It is certainly true that different shaft brands differ in terms of flex, as well as other features, but at those speeds, I think your pro is correct and you should start with a stiff shaft and see how you go. The quickest way to get an idea is to try the Mizuno SwingDNA, which bases shaft recommendations mainly on swing speed and tempo. If you have a very smooth swing, you can use more flexible shafts, but if you have a quick swing you may need even stiffer shafts.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For that swingspeed for a 6-iron you'd possibly be better off with a stiff shafted driver, but it depends on your swing and how you load the shaft during transition. That is assuming that the swingspeed was correct for your 6-iron.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was a tempo reading aswell but too be honest I took no notice. My wood swing defiantly feels faster but I will need to get it checked out properly.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Probably explains the eratic dispersion with my woods then. I hit my irons really well and consistent and they are reg but if the swing speed is likely to be 15MPH less then its maybe why I get away with it with my irons and not the woods.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why guess. Go and find a pro with a launch monitor and check it out. A lot of ranges are offering sessions using their equipment to measure without it becoming a custom fit session or fishing trip for new sales. The one I use at Maidenhead has a decent model and it is relatively inexpensive for a 20 minute session with a qualified PGA there to decipher the numbers

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It was actually AG who tested it as my pro is going to test it properly in the new year. I've had 3 lessons with him so far and the reg shafts in my woods are really concerning him. Hopefully the new stiff shaft in my driver will make him happy in my next lesson.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, my driver SS is 95mph, and I have the Diamana Kai'li stiff shaft because I can't hit the regular for toffee, based on SS alone, I should have the regular but thre's more to it than that.

Good luck with the new shaft, at the end of the day if it works, who cares what's written on it

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
True mate and the reg doesn't feel great but I had only been playing a year when I bought my driver and didn't take too much notice with shafts and so on, I just wanted to upgrade my Dunlop set LOL I could hit that well when I swung it with the same speed I would a new born baby.

Oh how things change...

My hybrid is the worst for dispersion and feel. I aslo feel like I swing that the fastest as the heads quite heavy.

I used to think my inconsistent dispersion with woods was a swing fault until I started having lessons and he instantly said there too whippy for me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was actually AG who tested it as my pro is going to test it properly in the new year. I've had 3 lessons with him so far and the reg shafts in my woods are really concerning him. Hopefully the new stiff shaft in my driver will make him happy in my next lesson.

Who's your pro?

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As said earlier the best thing to do is get fitted, when i got fitted for my 910 driver with my pro last year my swing speed was around the 93mph range which would suggest a reg shaft but the results were pretty poor with it. So we tried a reg but slightly heavier and it felt shocking and the results were even worse.

Ended up sticking a stiff shaft in and it just felt right and my pro said even before he looked at the flighscope readings he could tell it was for me.

I overswing quite a lot so have quite a quick transition hence the stiffer shaft helped even though my swing speed is in the reg range.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
LOL which one is Lee? The bald one by any chance? I asked for Daz when I started lessons... Shame he's a blues fan! We have a laugh during lessons though and he really knows his stuff, he points something out I do it and it works so I can't fault him.