My swing from a few months ago.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
It is.

The more up you swing at impact with a driver the more the club is swinging back to the left as it has already passed it's low point. So you have a few options (1) From a square stance you can force the swing out to the right whilst hitting up by swinging as you are, out to the right, this risks getting stuck, blocking and hooking but great if you can do it... Tiger used to and hit the right hand rough more than any other golfer for about a decade. (2) Aim more right to move the path more to the right (so it's not going left through impact) and swing more 'normally', less chance of getting stuck but if you block it you are already aiming right - so then you're definitely in the right rough. (3) Aim straight and hit LESS up.

The issue with playing the draw is amateurs play for TOO MUCH draw. An ideal draw would start pretty straight and draw just a few yards but amateurs tend to hit raking draws down the right hand side of fairways and expect 10-15yds of movement or more!

If you watch golf on the TV nowadays you might notice that people tend to end up in the LEFT rough more often now as they are playing for that more than they are playing to end up in the right rough.

I would say the ideal strategy is to aim a fraction right of center, clubface dead square down the center of the fairway and swing along the line of your toes (eg: from a slightly closed stance - shoulders too!!!) Just watch the ball position doesn't get too far forward if you aim to the right (which tends to happen) as that means the path will be even MORE up, and even MORE to the left, sounds complicated I know, but it's just geometry, once you get the hang of it it's easy :mad:;):p Once you accept that the left rough is just as good (if not better) than the right rough because you will be able to hit ANOTHER DRAW from the left rough then you can rip it!

Thanks James, looks like a trip to the range might be in order to put this into practice. I definitely want to stop this getting stuck business as it's not doing me any favours.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks James, looks like a trip to the range might be in order to put this into practice. I definitely want to stop this getting stuck business as it's not doing me any favours.

Rory swings out at 10 degrees, but he also hits UP at 4 degrees giving him a true path of 6 degrees out (10 minus 4) so he gets a draw - the question is just where does he align? Is he straight and risking getting stuck or is he maybe 5 degrees closed at the start and therefore only swinging out at 5 degrees? It's probably the only thing trackman lacks... the ability to figure out where the player is actually lined up before he swings.

For sure, the face needs to be a couple of degrees CLOSED to the PATH at impact to get the draw spin, and aiming right means you don't need to swing out quite so much (reducing your chance of getting stuck), but Rory still does, and he hooks it from time to time.

it's not a game of perfect. If you get 280yds and it's pretty much in play then you're still looking at a birdie chance.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory swings out at 10 degrees, but he also hits UP at 4 degrees giving him a true path of 6 degrees out (10 minus 4) so he gets a draw - the question is just where does he align? Is he straight and risking getting stuck or is he maybe 5 degrees closed at the start and therefore only swinging out at 5 degrees? It's probably the only thing trackman lacks... the ability to figure out where the player is actually lined up before he swings.

For sure, the face needs to be a couple of degrees CLOSED to the PATH at impact to get the draw spin, and aiming right means you don't need to swing out quite so much (reducing your chance of getting stuck), but Rory still does, and he hooks it from time to time.

it's not a game of perfect. If you get 280yds and it's pretty much in play then you're still looking at a birdie chance.

Most of the time he looks as though he's aiming right with his driver, at least it looks this way to me.

I know it's not a game of perfect, for me my misses are what makes or breaks my rounds if they aren't too bad I tend to score well if they are bad I can quite easily lose 2 or 3 balls or be in places where you will make a double bogey.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Here's his trackman stats....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/...Albums/Golf/Screenshot2011-12-17at84933PM.png

(note how he's NOT carrying 330yds as some might have you think)

Hitting from the inside & on the upswing as you stated earlier, gives a good indication as to how he swings the club with a driver.

I thought he'd be hitting it further than that, his ball speed is lower than mine on my last fitting?? Altough this was 3 years ago so he's probably gained some yardage since then & I am in no doubt that he will still knock it past me.

Like you say he's not carrying it 330yards, he doesn't even do that now.