My Ping G series fitting day

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just walked in from the Ping G series fitting day, I'll try to do a bit of a write up about the day, hope it's not to boring for you.

The day started bright and early at 6.20am as I set off from the West Midlands, the roads were thankfully clear and I arrived around 8.45, eventually met up with GM team and the other winners and pleasantries were exchanged. We were taken down to the fitting centre, which is fantastic by the way and well worth a visit if you're after some new shinies, after a few introductions we were away to our individual fitting bays and I met up with Paul, the poor sod must've drawn the short straw.

Fitting process

I've always thought of my myself as a bit of a golf geek, but the depth these guys go into is phenomenal. After a few questions about me, height, handicap current clubs etc Paul measured my hand to floor length and I came out in the silver zone. My own clubs have been extended an inch and this corresponded with that.

Paul could see that I didn't have anything longer than my mini driver in the bag, to which I told him it was on the naughty step and currently in my boot...off I marched to get it as he wanted to see how bad it actually is. More on that later.

Started off with a few strikes with the 7iron just to warm up, it felt lovely. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect by any means, it's not a magic stick, I still have to swing it, and some did veer off right which has always been my miss. Think I was averaging 136yards to start with, around an hour later and after many many shaft changes, both flex and weight I finally settled on one which I could get on with. My swing speed had risen from 92mph to 99mph and I was now averaging 146. So an increase of 146.

Next we moved onto the longer irons, I do prefer a hybrid to a 3iron, and I try to avoid the 4iron like the plague. After hitting the 4h and 5h it was obvious that this was more suited to my game.

I also hit the new crossovers but I didn't fancy these much.

Fairway woods. As you can see from my sig, I don't carry any. This will now change, I'll be definitely putting the 3 wood into play, a lovely little fade with around a carry of 190, I've never been the longest hitter, I'll take that all day.

We decided on the SF tech driver straight away, my driving is awful, a really really big slice, hence the mini driver. The SF tech will reduce the spin hopefully. I caught the first drive right out the middle...but I sliced the next 5 :(

A few more shaft changes and a tip or two from Paul and I was getting some consistent distance. I think a course of lessons on my driving is required, the drivers were lovely and very pleasing on the eye.

Had a few hits with the wedges and I'll be carrying the pw, uw and a 60degree lw.

Paul took a look at my putting stroke and didn't think my putter needed any changes as I'd been fit for it around 4 months back.

All in all a cracking day. Vids will be up in due course I expect. Cheers Mike and GM.

edit: the factory tour was a real eye opener too, runs like clockwork. MAJ lost hos clubs in Malaysia and a new set was made up within 45mins.

(Sorry if I've rambled and bored you.)

Last edited:

dgparry

Club Champion
Visit site
Excellent write up Baz, Mike may offer you a monthly column on the strength of it....ha ha. (one day i might even get an invite to one of these offers) :eek:ne:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Bazza :thup: curious to know why you didn't fancy the Crossovers

Oh and enjoy the new sticks. Guessing you won't get them till the 11th.

I don't know what it was, just feel I suppose. Just preferred the hybrids. Yep, can't have them before the 11th...they'd need buoyancy aides with this weather before then anyway.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I don't know what it was, just feel I suppose. Just preferred the hybrids. Yep, can't have them before the 11th...they'd need buoyancy aides with this weather before then anyway.

Thanks Bazza. I've always struggled with hybrids missing left but not good enough to consistently strike a driving iron so thought these might be a great solution. Will just have to hold on till the 11th and try them out then. Cheers :thup:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great day. Sorely tempted to get custom fit somewhere in the near future after reading all this. Congratulations on your new shineys

D

Deleted Member 1156

So what goodies did you finish up with, is it a full bag of magic sticks?? :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Good honest write up baz. Well said.
I applied but felt like that ugly snotty nosed kid at the disco sat on his own when the last snog dance was played, blown out. Oh that was me as well.
hope you get on well with the new bats.
Ping fitting is an excellent experience eh ?