My backswing

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, in my bid to take over the world with my golfing skills I took a video of myself going through the motions of a backswing (very poor quality, poor lighting, poor swing, no I'm not posting it :mmm:)

Anyway, I studied it. And studied it some more. From my brief time on these forums (a week?) I think I've been guilty of perhaps reading too much on 'wrist movement, club planes, shaft angles, grips, posture, ball position' etc etc, causing me to think about allsorts of actions when I'm swinging the club. Not such a bad thing I guess, but I have more food on my plate than I can eat, so to speak, at the moment. I'm about to book some lessons in at the local course so they can show me the basics.

In the meantime, after studing the video, I noticed my backswing start with a wrist-cocking motion. I picked up a club and sure enough, my right wrist seems to be the 'trigger' point of my backswing. Jerking it back to probably 7/8 o clock whereby my left arm then follows it up. Not good I'm thinking. I'm certain this is getting me nowhere and it's the first thing I'd like to address.

So, my question is this (as he finally arrives to his point), what can I use as the trigger for my backswing? Does my right arm take the club up? Or both arms together (obviously I'm aware I should be holding onto the club with both hands...). The left arm remains straight, I'm aware of that much.

Thanks for your help guys.

David

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So, my question is this (as he finally arrives to his point), what can I use as the trigger for my backswing? Does my right arm take the club up? Or both arms together (obviously I'm aware I should be holding onto the club with both hands...). The left arm remains straight, I'm aware of that

Do you need a trigger to start your backswing?

Admittedly I have one (Slight forward press) but having a trigger is not a neccecity IMO.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm working on mine, for me its a thought of the left shoulder turning. I'm trying to move everything away as a single unit, so dont want the hand or arms to start first.

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you need a trigger to start your backswing?

Admittedly I have one (Slight forward press) but having a trigger is not a neccecity IMO.

I may have worded it incorrectly.

Cocking my wrists is the first action I do when performing the backswing. Whether this is the same as a trigger I'm not too sure. I realise I'm doing it, I realise it's wrong.

Regardless, I now have a few drills that will help me to eradicate this from my swing :)

Thanks again