Multi-Material Shafts & Nanofuse Shafts

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I have just found an interesting article about shafts and there are two sections called Multi-Material Shafts and Nanofuse Shafts.
“Titanium is a relatively new material in shafts and there is not currently much information available about the manufacturing process. The shaft itself is lightweight (titanium being lighter than steel) and it has the ability to dampen vibrations, although this can give the shaft a stiff feel.”

“Nanofuse shafts are not steel, but they are metallic. They're not graphite, but they are firmly rooted in carbon fibre. They are created by fusing a nanocrystalline alloy with a carbon fibre composite polymer sublayer. The manufacturers claim this gives you a shaft with the consistency of steel and the distance and feel benefits of graphite, without any of the downsides. The key lies in an unimaginably small and tight grain structure in the NanoFuse material, increases strength dramatically which is so strong that the weight of the shaft can be reduced for distance without losing any of the stregnth which helps accuracy.”

Is this old info from technology that never happened or something on the way through?

I will link the article, I am only half way through and it seems a little basic but it seems pretty interesting. I wana be I wana be Ethan :D.

http://www.golfalot.com/Equipment/BuyingGuides/Shafts.aspx

Al

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a couple of woods with Titanium shafts about 15 years ago. The shafts were light, low torque and felt like a good combination of steel control and graphite lightness. Didn't feel stiff to me. Of course, back then, the graphite shafts were rubbish, and you really had to wait on them at the top, but nowadays good quality graphite shafts are light years better, so not sure if there really is a niche for titanium, except maybe in irons. Not cheap, either.