Mullion Golf Club

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been down in Cornwall on holiday for the last couple of weeks and played at Mullion Golf Club ("Britain's most southerly golf course") during the first week, had such a good time that I thought it was worth a write-up.

First of all, this is a really friendly golf club. I phoned the day before I played and was told by the pro that the seniors would be going out at the time I wanted to play, but not to worry, just show up and he would get me out as long as I didn't mind going off the 10th. He was just as friendly and chatty when I showed up the next day, had a chat about Mullion, about my club, which lake balls to buy, which trolley to rent (I was going to carry, but he gave what turned out to be good advice: "after the 5th, it's quite up & down, we don't get many people carrying here ..."). Having handed over my cash, he sent me off to the 1st rather than 10th as the main group had all gone. When I arrived there, the three members who were about to tee off looked at me by myself, asked if I had a game, and when I said I was by myself immediately invited me to join them.

So, on to the golf. Before I talk about the course itself, I live near Oxford and play at a parkland course where the protection is water and trees. So, this links course was a bit different for me. When I arrived and walked across the car park, there was a breeze blowing and it did occur to me that back at home, we'd think it was a reasonable wind but that here it was probably considered as totally still. I had the difference between inland and links firmly brought home to me on the 3rd fairway - as we teed off, one of the group pointed across to the sea, and said "that's coming our way". "That" was a big old rainstorm. By the time we'd reached our balls ready for our second shots, it was on us, so we all put on our waterproofs. Then, rather than playing on, the group I was with opened brollies, held them at about an 80 degree angle, and crouched down behind them! We all stayed in this position for about 5-6 minutes, and believe me we needed to, then the "shower" passed, we stood up, and played on. 3 holes later the sun is shining so warmly that we're dry as a bone and stripping off layers. "That's cornwall", I was informed. :eek:

For the course, the first thing to say is that the greens are in great condition. True and fast. On the day that I played the rough was pretty short, certainly not as penal as I had been expecting, which given that the winds were also "light" means that I think I experienced Mullion at its most benign. God knows what it's like in winter, even at its most forgiving every hole had a 1 to 2 club breeze and I struggled a bit with my club selection.

A couple of photos of that I took:
The 6th, which is where it stops being flat. 293 par 4 off the yellows, but driveable because it has a huge drop. To the right is gorse and a lost ball, but should you play here try not to over-compensate and hook your ball 30 yards left because it's thick rough and you'll be playing your second with the ball 2 feet below you. Not that I know this from experience, or anything. :p

20130729_105819_zpsc6d59127.jpg

(I didn't get a photo of the 8th tee, but that's the first time I've ever seen a warning sign that says "BEWARE OF ADDERS").

A view back down the 9th, not because it's a standout hole but because it's an example of the fantastic views from all over the course.

20130729_115301_zps60cadd6a.jpg

And finally the 10th, otherwise known as "Do not miss the green right with your second shot!!!"

20130729_115944_zpsde917698.jpg

Overall, it's a very enjoyable course that's in really good condition and I would definitely recommend a visit if you find yourself down there. Chances to open the shoulders and go for it with the big stick but also plenty of holes where some thought needs to be put into shot selection. Lots of blind shots, so I was quite glad I had guides with me. And the pro was right, you'll want a trolley, it's steep in places!

And finally, a huge thank-you to the three members Chris, Chris and Paul for your hospitality! Great company, and having someone to guide me round all those blind shots made a big difference to my round.