Much difference between black/red dot Ping irons (pre 2013) for a beginner?

jsTekkers18

Visit site
I've played golf fairly sporadically over the last few years with my grandad's clubs, which are all a mixture of brands. I'm thinking about getting a second hand set of Ping G15s or 20s - I measured myself and according to the chart would be red dot. There are a lot of deals on black dots online but harder to find red - how much of a difference would it actually make given black is standard?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some second hand G25's a few years ago. They were black dot, can't remember which dot was supposed to suit me best but it wasn't black. I looked into getting them altered, Ping offer to do it I believe, for a charge, but then @bobmac asked how I was hitting them. 'Quite nicely' was the reply. 'Don't do anything' was the response. Wise words 🤣 .

Red and black dot are next to each other on the Ping chart. As Bob says above, the difference will be too small to notice.

If they don't suit then either sell them or take them to a pro and ask to see how they work for you. If they need altering then I suspect any alteration will be more than one colour.

jsTekkers18

Visit site
I bought some second hand G25's a few years ago. They were black dot, can't remember which dot was supposed to suit me best but it wasn't black. I looked into getting them altered, Ping offer to do it I believe, for a charge, but then @bobmac asked how I was hitting them. 'Quite nicely' was the reply. 'Don't do anything' was the response. Wise words 🤣 .

Red and black dot are next to each other on the Ping chart. As Bob says above, the difference will be too small to notice.

If they don't suit then either sell them or take them to a pro and ask to see how they work for you. If they need altering then I suspect any alteration will be more than one colour.
Great thanks so much!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you play with a fade/slice? If so going slightly more upright will only help. You cansend them back to Ping to be adjusted anytime or if you're anywhere near Gainsborough you can drop in and they'll do it while you wait.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aside.
While PING effectively jumped onto it first, or even built, the custom fit bandwagon, there was some cogency to their proposition when a set of irons was the traditional 3-SW. Have they made any statement on why they dont cater for the modern golfer to the same extent now that carrying a couple or even more hybrids, and a 7 wood or such, is commonplace ? But no dots offered ?

ThinBullet

Visit site
Go try a set. I bought S55 black dot last year, and I played Titleist irons, and I don't like that look of the toe being up off the deck. I'm 5' 11".
Psychologically I'm thinking I'm going to hook them, which is what I did, so I went to Mizuno which are 1.5 degrees flatter than most, and the head sat perfect on the ground, but realised that it's the shaft, and how flexible the tip is, and dynamic lie angle etc.

1 or 2 degrees doesn't really make a difference in reality, but it's hard to get Ping clubs adjusted because they are cast. Not many will touch them, so I sold them and went forged again. Sad because they were fantastic irons out the middle. One of the best feeling I'd ever hit.